Thread: ??? Question for Lambo kit builders ???

??? Question for Lambo kit builders ???

Hi all, looks like a nice forum here. My kind of place, my kind of people - those who like to cut stuff up and make it "personal"!!! Anyway, on to my question:

When you built your Lambo kit and cut the stock chassis to fit the new body did you have to brace anything BEFORE cutting??? I am building a one-off concept car, Fiero-based, and need some knowledge before I pick up the tools.

What I am trying to figure out is if the Fiero chassis is strong enough for me to cut the upper frame rails and sheetmetal (both front and back) and the car still be ok sitting on the wheels, with just the lower main frame rails remaining. I am going to make temporary brackets to hold the rear end up. They'll probably bolt to the lower strut mounts and the lower frame rails.

I am planning to chop my top first, and after it is welded back cut the upper frame rails and sheetmetal. The chassis will be brought back to strength with the addition of a 12pt roll cage, which will run to the front of the front frame rails, and the back of the rear rails.

Hope this makes sense. If not, please ask me to rephrase.

perk

Re: ??? Question for Lambo kit builders ???

Try asking Keith from DRM motorsports he seems to know his stuff

http://drmcustom.netfirms.com/
    A Prancing Horse will ALWAYS back away from a RAGING BULL

Just run some 4x4s under the main chassis and rest the main chasis on blocks .. dont sit it on the wheels with nothing for the shocks and coils to rest against..
    Visit My KitCarOnLine Blog<br />http://www.kitcaronline.ca and Links Site at http://www.kitcars.ca

Try asking Keith from DRM motorsports he seems to know his stuff

http://drmcustom.netfirms.com/

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a try.

perk

Just run some 4x4s under the main chassis and rest the main chasis on blocks .. dont sit it on the wheels with nothing for the shocks and coils to rest against..
    The front springs and shocks will still be intact, because the springs are part of the whole bolt-on front suspension assembly. *That assembly,a nd the upper shock eyes, bolts to the main front frame rails which won't be cut off - only the upper rails.

I FORGOT!
    The rear suspension is what I want to make temporary brackets to support until new upper strut mounts are added with the cage.

The reason I want to keep the car on the wheels is that it will be in an out of different shops until the cage is finished.

perk

you can't leave the car on its wheels when the roof is cut off unless you brace the car at the rear firewall to the front firewall. the car will want to fold if you don't brace across the cab area. the problem isn't just at the rear firewall but also at the front. don't just put some underchassis framing because that won't be enough.
    www.exoticglass1.com

Sorry guys, and I really appreciate your patience and help. *I haven't done a good job of helping you understand what I am doing. *I will try to put it in a list form.

• [1] First I will cut and chop the top. *It will be completely rebuilt and fully welded up. *The reason this is first is that the car will be raced and needs a full 12pt roll cage. *That cage will be custom built to fit the contours of the cabin, so the top muct be in place as it will be. *I do understand that I will have to level and support the car from the frame rails during this procedure.
      [2] Next, I was going to put the car back on its wheels and fabricate brackets hold the rear suspension at the desired ride height. *They will bolt to the lower suspension strut mounts, and to the lower rear frame rails (same rails the cradle bolts to). *When I get the car back on its wheels I planned to start removing the upper frame rails (front and rear), rear strut towers, and all the sheet metal above the main frame rails (front and rear). *This will be done in my shop, and at another shop, so the car will be moved around a lot - my reason for wanting it on the wheels. *The other shop is an auto body shop that will help me cap off, weld up and smooth all the places where the cutting was done.
      [3] Next the car will be taken to the chassis shop to have the cage put in - after which point structural integrity will no longer be an issue. *My concern is whether the car is strong enough (with solid welded roof) to be moved around, transported, and worked on without the upper frame rails, strut towers and sheet metal??

Sorry this is so long, just trying to paint a clear picture of what I am up to. *Thanks again for your help.

perk

you can't leave the car on its wheels when the roof is cut off unless you brace the car at the rear firewall to the front firewall. the car will want to fold if you don't brace across the cab area. the problem isn't just at the rear firewall but also at the front. don't just put some underchassis framing because that won't be enough.