Thread: Building frame for rear decklid on 355, hindges?

Building frame for rear decklid on 355, hindges?

I'm currently working on the rear frame for the decklid, and don't really know how I should go about making the hindes so that the decklid can fully open without jamming into the firewall. Any ideas/pics of your setup? Here's all the pics I could find:

Re: Building frame for rear decklid on 355, hindge

Bump, anybody?

What you need to do is build an "H" frame inside the decklid. The forward to aft lengths of the "H" should run in line with the hinge block mounts on the stock fiero while the cross member of the "H" runs just under the opening. Glass this into the decklid.

A few guys have used those big gate hinges with some spacers for proper alignment.

I've got a source that build proper hinges specifically for a 355 kit that mount to the stock mounts. They look really great too

Some Toyota mounts will work too. What to do is to take a walk through the junk yard and look and REAR TRUNK hinges. You will find many kinds that not only lift the decklid up but away from the firewall.

I'll try and get some of my pics uploaded for you to see what I'm talking about.

I hope I haven't confused the issue too much

DKOV -

Take a look at the hinge I used on my Diablo, it is an Audi/VW hinge. It lifts the lid first then tilts as it pulls away from the firewall. Lamborghini uses the same hinge on the roadsters. http://www.kitcentral.com/cgi-bin/sh...1079&startat=0

I bonded in a 1 1/2 X 1/2 frame all the way around the lid, in an square shape, the lid is now very strong and swings great. I welded the hinge drectly to this frame.