Thread: Door Handles

Door Handles

I remember another member started a thread about door handles and creating the boxes for the handles to sit is etc. I can't seem to find the thread so I have a question for everyone.

I have built the boxes and I am going to fiberglass then into the upper panel of the air scoop as orginal but...

I am not sure how to now go about connecting the door handle arm to the door latch mechanism. The handle now pulls downward rather than outward as original Fiero does.

I want to pull the handle down and have the latch get pushed down as well. A couple answers come to my mind but I am not sure what I want to do just yet.

The drawing below illustrates primitively, my thoughts. What is everyone else doing for this?

Sorry for the clarityof the picture. It, apparently, did not save very clearly as a .jpg from a bitmap out of MS Paint.

Thanks
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Re:Door Handles

I can't read a darn thing I wrote in that pic after posting it.

Option 1 is to lengthen the lever arm on the handle so it pushes horizontially but through its curve, it will also move down.

Option 2 is to build a small lever arm to change the direction of motion.

Both are easy to do but I just wanted to knwo what everyone else has done to date.

Thanks
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Don,
    Here is what I did and they work great.... http://www.angelfire.com/ri2/ferrari_spyder/Doors.html

it will be the second to last photo on this page

Glenn;

I went to your site and looked at the work. After looking at your site, I know know where I got the design fror the handle box. Thank you. It is working out fine for my application as well.

One question though around the bar you bent to push down on the door latch. The bar is obviously strong enough to push fown the latch relase lever. What thoickness of bar did you use so you would not get flexing? Is it 1/4" round? the pic on your site is quite blurry but I get your concept and design.

I will also be taking the box one further step in attaching to the door in that I am going to lay a layer of two of fiberglass over it on the inside and out to get the final fitting in fiberglass. My boxes did not come out quite as well as yours did so I thought I would cover it up with glass.

Thanks for the tip.

Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Don,

It is nice to know that the site has helped others with thier builds as well! thank you. As for the rod size, I will measure it tonight, I originally tried to use the same rod that came out of the fiero but I could not get it to work because of the flex.

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    I remember another member started a thread about door handles and creating the boxes for the handles to sit is etc. I can't seem to find the thread so I have a question for everyone.

Thanks
    Don
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Dave;

I had seen this done on another car as well but how does it fit into the outer door panel? Do you have a hole cut into the top surface of the air vent and then reach up and pull out toward the outside of the car?

My thoughts were to have the handle pull down the same as Glenn had done on his version. This is certainly a way to do it and potentially easier.

Thanks
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Don,
    I found it very comfortable to open the doors with the way I did mine. I placed the handle so it was even with the suface of the air vent. Although Dave's design might work just as easy....

Don and Glenn:

I cut mine out like the real 355 although they use a cable operated door latch, the Fiero handle simply attaches to the Fiero door, (the rod simply goes to the door latch, cut to fit here). The handle works great. No stress on the fiberglass door each time it is opened.

You probably can do a better job on your than I did on mine. The hole in my door is the exact cutout on the door skin as a 355. The handle easy to access. You can make you door locks work from this area as well. I plan to take some of Glennís information and build a little box over the top of handle to keep the weather out of the door covered with a piece of rubber from an inner tube on the bottom of the handle above the fiberglass opening making a slit to put my fingers into to reach the handle

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Thanks Dave;

I'll play with mine a bit more as I really like the way Glenn's woudl sit. I am alos going to be putting fiberglass over the entire piece inside and out to get a solid bond to the door panels so I hope that will alleviate the potential of pulling it off if just using epoxy.

I am taking my door on and off so much these days that I have not put the handles in it yet. Still getting everthing lined up and then it goes on semi permanently and I will hook the handle up then.

Thanks again.
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV