Thread: Front Brakes , Quick question

Front Brakes , Quick question

Well I have been doing some brake work today and I need to change the front wheel bearing. I have the cotter pin off and the nut and washer off, However the rotor / hub assembly will not slide off?. The rotor moves back and forth a bit, Is there a trick to doing this :-[? I don't want to hurt the rotor as it is in good shape.

Thanks
    Trevor,

Re: Front Brakes , Quick question

Maybe you're mixing terms here, but removing the hub to replace the wheel bearings has little to do with the Rotor... the rotor most be OFF before you access the wheel hub carrier to remove the bearing assembly.

First, remove the wheel, then the caliper, then the Rotor. Remove the center hub nut (30 mm deep well socket) then the three T55 Torx bit bolts holding the bearing assembly to the hub carrier.

Thel wheel mounting flange (with the wheel studs coming out of it) has one "U" shaped notch in it as well as two other holes. Line the "U" shaped notch up over the T55 Torx bolts for access. Take each one out completely.

At this point, the wheel bearing assembly is ready to pull off the hub carrier. If it doesn't want to release, you will need to use a general purpose "puller" like you would use to remove a Pulley or a steering sheel center. Install that tool, crank the center screw down and it will pull the assembly off the axle pin.

My advice here is to replace the entire assembly as a unit.

Installation is reverse of this process although there is the added step of installing the assembly which may need some "persuation" with a rubber mallet and a 2x6 with a hole cut through the center for the axle pin.

Good Luck!

DKOV -

Thanks DKOV, I did get it off. The rotor and hub assembly is one piece (my car is a 1986) The 1988's have the seperate rotors and hubs on all 4 corners?.

Thanks again
    Trevor,

88's, yep they do. Sorry, I should have asked

DKOV -