Thread: ferrari style gated shifter

ferrari style gated shifter

i planned on definitely putting the ferrari style gated shifter in my 512tr conversion, but rodney said it is a bad idea, because the plate holds the shifter stationary which could eventually cause slippage and or grinding, I have to have my ferrari style shifter! do any of you have this in your cars,how did you install it and what problems have you encountered thanks, funnywheels are you going gated in your 355? thanks

Re:ferrari style gated shifter

I mounted the gate solid to the shifter surround but did leave the shifter surround where it had a little play, very little play.
    For the gate to work right with my interior I had to tilt the shifter back some with some washers.
    I have Rodney's short shifter.
    Got the gate from JR.

I have the Rodney Dickman short shifter and short shift kit installed but the gate will not work in my car because my console is to low on the shifter. The base of the shifter actually sticks up about 1/2 inch above the console. So I just used the leather boot from Mr. Mike on mine. I would have used the gate like Mark, I think it look best but, earlier designs of my interior prohibits its use.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I recently purchased a gate shifter from John at http://www.kitcaraccessories.com I have not installed it yet but it is supposed to be a functional gate shifter. John claims it works better than the euroshifter or fieurosifter of whatever it is that was out there before. You do have to either get a new console or modify the Feiro console to make it "taller".
    It won't be installed for a month or two as I am about to start on a 3800 SC II conversion. Anyone out there have the gate shifter from John installed?

Rocky

Have what installed? The gated shifter or the 3800 engine?

I had meant the gate shifter but I could always use more info on the 3800 swap--is there anyone in MI that does them? With the 284 RPO M27 5-Speed Getrag out of a Z34 Lumina?

Thanks

Rocky64:

Who are you? What type of work you do, age, family, skills, kind of car you have etc?

Dave

Hi,

I'm 39, live in central MI and teach high school social studies. I have an '87 GT stretched Testarossa replica. It currently has the 2.8L. As for the 3800 swap, I really don't have the time or space really to do a major project so I'm hiring most of it out. --Duane (Rocky)

Welcome aboard Duane. I think you will find us a unique bunch of car guys here.

A few of us have 3800 engines in our cars. I just put one in mine (3800 normally aspirated) attached to a 5-speed Getrag. It was pretty easy to put all of the hardware in place on the car. Hooking up the ECM was another matter. Duane Cox on this site has a 3800 SC in his car. He has done a few of them. I have a lot of information on the swap if your interested. Plenty of the guys install 350CI Chevyís in the cars, many however are bone stock V6 Fiero (the stock engine isnít that bad either).

Let us know how we can assist and I am sure we will all chime in.

Best regards,

Dave (FunnyWheels

Okay, I'm going to start a new thread...