Thread: Making windows from lexan for Lamborghini

Making windows from lexan for Lamborghini

Hey guys I will be starting the side and rear windows in the next couple of weekends
    Can I use the 1/8 inch Lexan that Home Depot carries or?
    I am planning on using 1/8 inch flat alluminum to build the frames 3 pieces wleded together
    so it formas a grove for the glass unless some of you guys have some beter Ideas
    I have a felling this part will take some time to look right alot of trial and error

kitcarnut

Re: Making windows from lexan for Lamborghini

Go to local mirror/glass shop and let them cut you 6mm laminated glass,some even have with the greenish automotive shade.construct your frame first,fit it then cut templates. Plastics scratch easy,dulls and looks cheap.

I have heard of a scratch resistant lexan that the auto glass places sell, I guess that is what I will be using. I want to make the bottom piece removable, But I am not sure on how I will do that yet. I would stay away from the lexan at home depo, I was in there looking for some lexan to re-route my venting the other night. I think there lexan would scratch pretty easy.

Thanks
    Trevor

I used 1/4" Lucite for my doors, non-removeable. They were pretty scratch resistant. The rear quarters and back were tinted laminated glass. The doors needed to be acrylic because they have slight bends in them. My doors had a 1/2" recess for the windows. I used 3M moulding tape as a sealer/adhesive between the door and window, then used aluminum screen door hardware at the corners and at a few spots allong the edges to keep them in place. The nut part of the fastener was countersunk into the Lucite, and the screw part (inside) was very low profile and unobtrusive. I used a flat plastic moulding to trim out the outter edges. It was supplied by D&R. It's about 1/2" wide x 1/8" thick and has an adhesive backing. It covered the fasteners so they could not be seen from the outside, and provided the look of a frame for the window. I used this same moulding on all of the windows. You could easily make a portion or the entire window removeable by using a non-adhesive seal between the window and frame, and replacing the inner part of the fastener with a thumbscrew.

Jon

So it looks like I will be going with 1/4" Lucite for the side and quater windows I just won 4 pieces on ebay 22''x34" new for $8.25 that are tinted grey they where for transit buses ;D ;D