Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lambo door struts

Lambo door struts

Hey everyone,

I bought a set of gas struts for my doors, I have no Idea on lift pressure and have never seen one with that listed on it. Anyways I tried to compress these by hand they would not move, so I installed them in the door. I can close the door and it compresses fine however It does not have enough pressure to lift the door back up? Does anyone know where I can buy a set that will work?

Any help you guys could give me would be great

Thanks
    Trevor

Re: Lambo door struts

hello , i have a old I.F.G video that has some information on countach doors and how to instal lift struts and a basic buil-up the car. I can make you a copy, if you want.
    Jam1875

Hi there, I could use a copy of that video too. Could you please send me a copy my way? Also do you have any other assembly videos? Iwould appreciate any video that any person would send me.

I sell lambo Kit Car hinges so I coach a lot of people thru the process of figuring the the lift. Here is most of it in a nut shell.
    1. Start by mounting the door in place.
    2. Determine where you want the struts attached. You want the strut mounting points to be a foot or so away from the hinge point.
    3. With the door closed, measure the distance from the pivot point on the jamb to the pivot point on the door. Add about an inch to it for safty. this is called "COMPRESSED LENGHT".
    4. Prop the door open to the angle that you want it to be when it is opened. Measure the two positions again. This will be your "EXTENDED LENGTH".
    5. Subtract the compressed length from the extended length and you will know the "LENGTH OF TRAVEL".
    6. If the lenght of travel is more than say 40% of the over all length than you will not find a strut for it so you will need to move your mounting points away from the hinge and re figure the math.
    7. To figure the amount of force needed, an easy way is to add weight to the door to equal the weight of the trim panel, glass, hardware and paint and body work.
    Now get a hanging scale like they use in a produce market for weighing vegetables. Attach it to the door at the strut pivot point and measure how much lift is needed to lift the door. Add at least 20% to that number and that will be the "FORCE" rating that you need. If you can't get them from a local Industrial supplier get with me and I will get them for you.
    Ross

Thanks for the info strdream,

I am going to check my doors and try and figure out the lift pressure i need. I have found a source for the struts, I guess these type of struts are used alot in RV's. And they can get whatever lift pressure I need.

Thanks again
    Trevor

8) Where are you getting struts from?? I can only seem to find the StrongArm brand and they are hard to deal with as you have to measure your self and guess on the pressure.

Hey janice_ho:

I had a set of the strong arms and they did not work, They dont have much lift pressure. I guess they are meant to be helped up when you lift a hatchback or whatever. If you go to any place that sells or repairs RV's / Travel tralers. They should be able to get them for you with whatever lift pressure you need.

The junk yard approach suggests using Volvo tailgate struts.
    8)
    Visit My KitCarOnLine Blog<br />http://www.kitcaronline.ca and Links Site at http://www.kitcars.ca

You should check out Rodney Dickman's Fiero stuff... I've purchased three struts from him for the front and rear decklids. They are of very high quality and I'd be surprised if he didn't have any struts for a Lambo door.

His Site : http://rodneydickman.com/

If that doesn't work, most of the early to mid 90's Pontiacs used these kinds of struts for the front hood.

Good Luck!

DKOV -

Thanks for the help guy's, I got a set of the struts today from the RV shop, And they work like a dream. They were very reasonably priced too 17$ a piece CDN.

derwin, I was in the junk yard the other day Getting some odds and ends. I was looking for the volvo struts but they didn't have any, I did find a set off of a hatchback that should work great for my rear decklid.

Thanks again everyone,
    Trevor