Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back sides of fiberglass parts

Back sides of fiberglass parts

I am finishing off my headlight pods on my countach. I want the backs of things like this (pods,wheel wells,,,,lid bottoms) to be black. Do I smooth them out and have them painted by a shop? Or do I just clean off the wax and spray some Krylon semi flat on them? These of course are places that would rarely be seen except at a car show. I don't plan to show it much anyway so I don't think I need to put much time into something like this.......Am I wrong? ???

Re: Back sides of fiberglass parts

I am thinking of using a textured black paint in spray bomb, Mabye even some of that sprayable truck bedliner stuff ?. You could use just black paint but I think it would work / look better using something textured. I would lightly sand the panel first so the paint will bond better. I am accually about to do this over the next few weeks. Hope this helps.

Trevor,

???A spray bomb? Let me know how it turns out for you. Are you doing this before any other exterior paint?

I'm not sure where you guys live but I do know of a place in Mississauga Ontario Canada that will put automotive paint in a spray can...you can even give them a colour code so you can get a close to exact match...it's about $15 a can but it's alot better than the stuff you buy and Canadian tire.
    A Prancing Horse will ALWAYS back away from a RAGING BULL

Lol, sorry I call ordinary paint spray can's "Spray Bomb" I am painting the inner panels before the exteriour is painted. Sorry for the confusion, I will let you know how it turns out or mabye post some pics.

Trevor,

EVERY DETAIL WILL SHOW THE QUALITY OF YOUR BUILD SO IF YOU HAVE THE TIME TO DRESS THE REVERSE SIDE'S AND HAVE THEM PAINTED IT WOULD BE BETTER. EVEN IF YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE THAT NOTICES IT. THEN AT LEAST YOU KNOW IT'S RIGHT. AS FOR THE WHEEL WELLS I WOULD USE AN AUTOMOTIVE UNDERCOATING THAT CAN BE BOUGHT AT A LOCAL AUTO PAINT SUPPLIER. MAYBE THAT WILL HELP WITH YOUR DECISION.
    GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY HOLLIDAY'S

8) 8)DJRO,,,,kill the caps lock,,,,,,,I feel like I'm being scolded! :-*LOL

:'(Sorry it's just faster. *I will correct in the future. As you may can tell i am long winded. :P

No problem,,,,,,keep the advice coming!!!! ;D

Larrybud
    I just wanted to point out to you that if you want to save some time and make it more "original" ( like the real one ) use some under coating with light texture on it that's how they do it from factory.

ps I could not help to notice the nose on the pic of your car , how much clearance do you have when the car is sitting on level ground ?