Jacked from Pennock's Fiero Forum

Steps to set timing:

1. Start engine and let it warmup so as to go into closed-loop operation.

2. Stop engine.

3. Jumper terminals A-B on the ALDL connector in the center console next to the lighter.

4. Loosen the distributor hold down so that the distributor can be turn - twisted clockwise and counterclockwise. It should not be loose, but firm to turn. Mark the base with chalk. When you get it to turn, then put it back where it was before SETTING the timing.

5. Attach timing light power leads to the battery.

6. Attach timing light inductive pickup to cylinder number one; don't let it lay on the exhaust.

7. Start engine. Point timing light at the timing tab. I recommend painting the wide timing mark on the harmonic balancer WHITE; easier to see. (First, find the timing tab towards the back of the car in the alternator area with a flashlight. Then you will know where to point the timing light.)

7a. Advance/Retard timing by turning the distrubutor so that the timing mark on the balancer is close to ten degrees on the timing tab. I've been shocked before when setting timing - so I always wear welding gloves. (Accel 50kV coil will get your attention. Up my arm, down my side, and out the bottom of my shoe.)

8. Move the timing light inductive pickup to cylinder number four. This time, take a reading of where it is at. Add this number to the results from cylinder number one and divide by two.

Example, numbers are for example only. If you set cylinder number one to 9 degrees and then check cylinder number four and it is 11 degrees. 9+11 = 20 and 20/2 = 10 degrees average. The ideal is to have (10+10)/2 = 10 degrees average.

Don't be suprised if one cylinder is a little before the mark, retared, and the other a little past the mark, advanced. (Did I keep that straight? *)

The rest of the procedure is more of an art than fixed steps. The JIST of process is to time cylinder number one and number four so the average timing is as close as possible to 10 degrees. To do this may require checking both cylinders a couple of times and making small adjustments.

Some pictures to clear things up:

View from Above:

View from Below:

Negative view from above so you can see the timing marks