Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Longitudinal V6

Longitudinal V6

Okay;

I am currently tearing down the stock 2.8 to clean it up before putting it back in the car and I looked at the length of the engine block and the area of the engine compartment.

I am sure this has already been asked and anwered but is the V6 also too long to go into the stretched rear section longitudinally? Would a 3800 be tto long, or a 3.4 DOHC conversion as well? Obviously, this would be a custom rar frame setup and all but is there the room? From eyeballing, it looks ike it might even work.

I know you need 7+ inches to get the V8 in and longitudiunal but what about a V6? I think I already know the answer as no but I thought I would ask anyway.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Re:Longitudinal V6

I could understand a hot HOT V8 Longitudinal instalation, but why waste your time doing it to a typical 2.8 or other V6? It won't be any faster and you still won't look like a real exotic when you pop the hood. Not to bum you out but why not concentrate on a supercharged 3.8 if you want a cool V6 install. If you really want something different, go for a mustang 5.0 install w/heads and cam. Then you are talking about some goodies!

You are going to have to go with a V-8 or a 4.3 L just so you can use some of the good Long. transaxles that will be able to work in the swap. There are a couple that may work but if your going through all the work to do a full or all new swap why not put some power under the hood, your building a kit that looks like it has power so back that up! Right?
    I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.

I think it's Kennedy Engineering that makes all sorts of adapter plates, so that shouldn't be a problem. The problem I see is that the transaxle pushes the axles back, requiring the longer stretches. Also, youhave to add the width of the adapter. A longitudinal 3.4DOHC or 3.5, or even 3800SC would be kinda cool.
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

take a look at:

http://specificmotors.com/home.html

There are a few engine / trans options. Let me know
    if there are any others that you think would be
    appropriate for your build.

dave

I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.

Good discussion all;

The reason I posted this question was exactly as I saw above, many people go for V8 rip your guts out performance in the cars and that is great if that is what you are looking for.

I, personally, do not need the power that others go for. That is okay too. I was just asking whether the smaller engines would fit longitudinally in the rear after a 3" stretch since I know V8's need the room as they are much longer.

A 3800 supercharged V6 would be great. Is it too long as well though? I was also thinking about the 3.4 DOHC on a transaxle and wondering if that would fit.

I do not plan on doing anything with this at this time. I am just wanting to get mine finished and on the road so my original 2.8 is getting cleaned up to go back in for now.
    Always thinking about other options though as no brainer activities like scraping gunk of the block and such is going on...... ;D.

Have a great weekend all.
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Don:

I saw this post from Feb 13 and found a car at Daytona that answered the question. It works better with a 355 rebody with a +3 wheelbase. I think the 3800 will work fine. He used a Hewland racing gear box with straight cut gears (about $7,500 used) but a Porsche transaxle is close to the same size (actually a little smaller). I think you could use a stock Fiero cradle (stretched 3 inches like I did on my car) and turn the engine north and south with new cross members and get it to work.

I may have to consider another winter project now that the car is close to being finished.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Dave;

Thanks for the info. I may well have to look at this closer as well. I want mine on the road though so it will be after the beast is running.

Thanks
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

V8... V6... It doesn't make too much of a difference for impressiveness with the hood open, especially if the V6 is decked out. Heck, Look at the Rice Racers showing off their 4 bangers. :

I think the longitudinal position of the engine makes it look cooler, whether it be a 6 or 8, so Go for it.