Thread: How to get a stripped screw out?

How to get a stripped screw out?

I've bought rebuilt rear calipers for my fiero, but can't remove all of the parking brake pieces from my old (I need to return the old ones to get the core, and the new ones don't have any of the parking brake stuff). I got most of the screws out but there is one Torx-40 screw which is rusted away so bad that it instead of a torx star patern on the screw there is now basically just a circle. I've wd40'd it all up and hit it with a hammer a few times to loosen it up, but still can't get any screwdriver or rachet or anything to grip onto it to get it out.

Any ideas on how to remove it?

Re: How to get a stripped screw out?

One way I've worked through this problem is to get a drill bit that is smaller than the diameter of the bolt you are trying to remove. Drill into the bolt head, make SURE you are square, and run the bit into the bolt's body through the head. Just about an 1/8th inch or so, maybe a 1/4 depending on the bold diameter.

Next, get a new Torx bit, bigger than the hole you just drilled and POUND it into the hole! You may need to use a small sledge hammer, but get it in there good!!!

next, back out the bolt.

I can't absolutely guarentee it will work for your problem... sounds like it's in there pretty well. The hammering should help though. It did work for me in a similar situation.

If NOT, then consider drilling it all the way through then breaking out the thread pieces. A Die and Tap set will probably be needed to clean up any messes left behind.

DKOV -

Thanks dkov - also I know that hardward stores sell a special drill bit set which is designed for this sort of situation

I thought that you wanted to know what to do if you did NOT have a drill tap remover tool...

DKOV -

That was just for the search archives

Anyways in the end I used your technique Dkov for one of them and it worked, the other one was stripped so badly I just drilled the head off and popped the screw out.