Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: identifying the Audi trans

identifying the Audi trans

I've heard (read) some talk of using Audi front drive longitudinal transmissions in Kitcars. Audi 5000? I'm looking for information on how to identify one, such as casting marks or whatever. What years and models were they used in? I've been looking around the junk yards and I see so many of them, but not sure if they are the "right" one. I just found one locally still in the car, but all of the badges are missing from the car. It has a turbocharged inline 6cyl engine. I think this is the trans I want. How do I confirm?

Re: identifying the Audi trans

the 84-87 5000S 5 speed transmission is the one you want. The turbo and regular cars use the same transmission. Kennedy Engineering can sell you adapter plates and kit. There is a lot of information at kitcentral.com including this topic:

http://www.kitcentral.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000023.html

Another topic:
    http://www.kitcentral.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000959.html

quote from this topic:

Kennedy Engineered Products . . . Here is an email from him...
    "The kit runs $460. It will take about 6 weeks.

Dave
    Kennedy Engineered Products
    38830 17th St. East
    Palmdale, CA 93550

(661) 272-1147"
    adapter kits include: adapter plate, flywheel, pilot bearing (set) & bolts (dust shield if needed) KEP also sells a Heavy duty clutch too.

Rockcrawl
    check those cylinders a 5000 should have 5 cylinders
    I'm going to use a auto Audi trans and have a Kennedy adaptor for it . I'm going to use it in a Countach 5000 replica. Gene

It could have been a 5 cyl, I didn't spend much time looking at it. I noticed the turbo was gone. I took a brief look at the layout of the drivetrain and moved on. I noticed that the bottom of the case was smooth whereas the trannies in the 80 and 100 that I looked at were ribbed.

I had planned on making my own adapter and flywheel, but for $500 or so it's probably not worth the effort. I want to mate it to an Eaton supercharged 3.4 DOHC V6.

Re:identifying the Audi trans

Rockcrawl:

I looked on the Lambo Lounge web site and found a ton of information regarding the Audi 5000 transmission. They are tough as nails. Same box that is in a 944 Porsche but it has a bell housing. Check out the site. www.lambolounge.com
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Bump
    A computer without a Microsoft operating system is like a dog without bricks tied to its head.

Wow, it's been a while. I've found and purchased a transmission. I found some information on another website that helped me out. Apparently they are referred to as 016 boxes. There are part numbers cast all over the thing and many of them start with 016. The prefix of the serial number determines the gear ratios. The serial number is stamped on the top of the bellhousing. A listing of gear ratios can be found here: http://65.108.64.218/BriansCar/text1.htm

Kennedy does not make an adapter for the small FWD GM engines. Unless I can find a bunch of people with similar interests, I'll be making my own.

Jon:

I would be interested in one of the engine/trans adapters based on the BOP bolt pattern. Will the flywheels be included in the package?

It is what I wanted to install in the first place. I want to put it behind my 3800 in a 355 Rebody. There is just enough room to make this happen with a +3 inch wheelbase conversion (already completed). If the cost is reasonable, I would like to be counted in the group.

Regards,

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Dave, your 3800 engine does not have what is referred to as the BOP pattern, unless it is an older rear wheel drive 3.8 engine. It's usually called a 60*V6 pattern, though the 3800 is 90* and the Cadillac V8s use the same bolt pattern as well. I think GM FWD pattern would be the best description, though the FWD longitudinal Cadillacs had the BOP pattern and the 2.5/2.8/3.8 rear drive S-trucks and F-bodies had the little pattern. It can be confusing no matter what you call it. Although the FWD 2.8/3.1/3.4/3.8/4.1/4.5/4.9 engines all have the same bell housing pattern, the flywheels would be different in most cases, meaning a different kit would be required for each engine.

The KEP adapters are designed to use the 240mm Turbo 5000 clutch parts (if manual shift) and an economical Toyota truck gear reduction starter. The flywheel ring gear is custom made for these swaps. Manual kit includes the adapter plate made of aluminum plate, a custom made steel flywheel, pilot bearing, starter adapter when needed and all the necessary bolts to fit the engine to the transaxle. The kits they currently make are priced at $600-625 not including starter and clutch. http://www.kennedyeng.com/other.htm

I inquired about the possibility of a 60*V6 adapter and this is the reply I got:
    "We don't make that kit yet. Only V8's at the moment. I have no idea if or when we might do a kit for the combo, it pretty much depends on the demand."

Kennedy Engineered Products
    38830 17th Street East (661) 272-1147
    Palmdale, CA 93550 Fax (661) 272-1575
    http://www.kennedyeng.com

I was hoping to get enough people seriously interested to get KEP to design a new adapter for the little V6s. If you are serious, send them an email or give them a call.

Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast