Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 355 mirrors (concept)

355 mirrors (concept)

I would really like to get a set of breakaway style mirrors for my 355 but they are expensive. Here is my thought.......again plenty of thought...........no time/$$$ to try my idea myself.

Would if someone were to find a main mirror (break away part) from a factory car (not Ferrari) that was close. By main, I'm not including the part which mounts to the car only the part which holds the power motor and mirror. Then make a fiberglass part that mounts to the car that replicates the 355's. This part would cost less, use less materials, cheaper to ship, etc. Here is my "donor" mirror:

This is from a 93-97 Nissan Altima which you can buy off of Ebay new for $60 each all day long. If someone were to make a fiberglass 355 replica "base" for the mirror which the main mirror could mount onto it would work. I think the main mirror is a fairly close match. I also think the base could be manufactured and sold for less than $100 totalling the mirrors to $220 per set for power breakaway 355 mirrors. Wiring would be easy, especially if someone figured out and made an adapter to go from Nissan plug to Fiero ("plug and play"). Any thoughts? Anyone want to try it? ;D

Re: 355 mirrors (concept)

I am already on it. I was thinking of using 200 Hyundia Tiburon mirrors.
    I too am just thinking right now

Quote Originally Posted by jdinner
    I am already on it. I was thinking of using 200 Hyundia Tiburon mirrors.
    I too am just thinking right now
    I'm glad to hear someone with skills is trying this. ;D* The only problem I see with the hyundai mirror is the same I found with most other mirrors out there.* This part here:

It bulges out to far towards the car.* The real mirror has a smooth transition from the base to main mirror (I tried to draw the line in the pic).* Most of the mirrors I've seen have this bulge.

I'm just being a perfectionist without actually pulling a mold from a real mirror.* I'm also looking at it as a way to solve this problem for everyone who needs/wants these type of mirrors for a low price.* Were you planning on making the mirrors for resale also or just a one shot deal for your own car?

Here is a real mirror:

we can get them in the uk , but they are for the mr2 replica 355's they cost about 300 which is expensive as the rigid type is only 150, but the cost of replacing knocked off wing mirrors it can balance out depending how bad a driver you are!

Bondo Bob makes a set of one piece mirrors for $199 US. Maybe you can cut that mirror and install just the knuckle from one of these mirrors, then glass it back together.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I've seen Bob's mirrors, and they look great. I actually started emailing Bob this info as a suggestion for breakaways since he has the fiberglass connection who has worked with the 355 mirrors before. I decided to post it to the forum insted so if anyone else with fiberglass contacts wanted to try it they could. I would go for it myself but I don't have the time or money to put toward it right now.

How about these?

91-94 240sx mirrors look and work similar to the 355 mirrors, but as far as i know, no electric ones :P
    dirt cheap though
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Do you realy have to have the mirrors bend in for any reason? If you want, you can just grind out a notch to make the mirrors look like the origanials

i doubt they would want to buy non-replica mirrors for no reason if replica ones are available but they dont.

the folding mirrors idea is not designed to prevent the mirrors from being ripped off if you hit something. it was actually designed to save space when parking in japan and italy, and the rest of europe of course. here in the US and canada, that problem doesnt exist so people assume its for bad drivers. :
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com