Thread: Questions Questions Questions

Questions Questions Questions

Alright well I have a few questions that maybe somebody on here will be able to help me out with. I was wondering if anyone has found a place that sells universal switches that are the same size as the fiero and preferably in black? Also does anyone know where I could get the little graphic icons that you see on the switches? Does someone know how much chopping would be installed to take a fiero with existing t tops and chop the AD kits top back to the back seal of the fiero. I know there would be some top modification and the roof line would not be the same. Also why havent you guys that do a convertible grab a fiero donor that has t tops because would it not already have a header that has a locking mechanism for the T tops. I could be completely wrong just a thought. Thanks Guys

Re: Questions Questions Questions

A lot of GM parts are interchangeable (thats the nice thing about GM).As for the switches,possibly the wrecking yard for a Camaro or Firebird about the same year as your Fiero or maybe a newer model may work.Once you find what your looking for,you can order new ones from the dealer (Be sure to get the year and model of car from the wrecking yard if you plan on buying them from the dealer).The T-Top sounds like a good idea,I have seen a few useing the T-Top rather than the convertible,it depends on what you want and if a T-Top doner is avalabe.Also the T-Top must conform to the shape and body style of your kit, and may not work with all kits.Try searching the internet for Automotive switch graphics or switch graphics (anything you can think of)....
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

* Buying a T-Top Fiero with the intent to cut the top off to make a convertible would have the advantage of already having the header/latch mechanism. Down side is the cost. Last time I checked AutoTrader Online, a t-top Fiero was Miniumum $5,000.
    Yes, I know their are cheaper one's somewhere!
    Besides, the Fiero Fanatics that I know would refuse to sell you their t-top car if they knew you would cut it up to build a stupid Kit Kar!
    * *D.

edited for speeling.

There was a set of 2 fieros on ebay jus the other day and one was a t top and both sold as a pair for 650. Just an idea for people out there doing a convertable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
    Alright well I have a few questions that maybe somebody on here will be able to help me out with. I was wondering if anyone has found a place that sells universal switches that are the same size as the fiero and preferably in black? Also does anyone know where I could get the little graphic icons that you see on the switches? Does someone know how much chopping would be installed to take a fiero with existing t tops and chop the AD kits top back to the back seal of the fiero. I know there would be some top modification and the roof line would not be the same. Also why havent you guys that do a convertible grab a fiero donor that has t tops because would it not already have a header that has a locking mechanism for the T tops. I could be completely wrong just a thought.* Thanks Guys
    Eddie the T top is a good idea.* Unfortunately the Fiero T top is worth a lot of money restored.* I believe the number of "T" TOp Fiers built is around 200 or so per year 1986-1988 for T top cars.* If you find one, it would be a shame to cut it up to put any kit on it.* The 88 T top is the rarest of them all especially with power, heated, suede seats.* I wish I could locate one of them myself.

Regarding the work required to put the AD body on the car and utilize the T Tops is relatively simple but the top will be flat like a Fiero.* You simply cut the top to match up into the existing Fiero top. Lucas and IFG did things that way at one time.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

The convertible was even more rare and that didnt' stop anyone. I can imagine a lot of fiero enthusiasts would be ripping their hair out in clumps if they ever found out! Do what you want to do but like Dave said, it's a hard car to find so expect to pay top dollar for one in good shape. You could probably make your own T-top car with about the same amount of trouble as getting a convertible top to work. Use the T-tops out of a Camaro or Firebird.
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

I originally wanted to get a t-top car because I am making a targa or GTS 355 replica and thought it would be good to use the stock top hardware, but no matter what way you look at it, we are all making one car into another car and there is nothing easy about that.
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

I don't think that having a 'T' top car is going to get you any closer to having a convertible. The T top is just an 'I' frame that's rivited into the fiero. It's latching/locking mechanism isn't going to do you any good on your convertible. It's not much of a mechanism, it's just a retractable pin; not going to do you any good for a convertible. On top of that, the car is not reinforced any at all for the conversion. So you aren't any where closer to a convertible than having a hard top. As a matter of fact, having a hard top may be better because you can cut your header anywhere you want. And if you think that you can reuse the 'T' top header for your convertible, then let me warn you in advance, it's not going to work, or you will have to put in more effort than it's worth to start from scratch. If you ever closely examine a 'T' top car, you would know right away that it's not going to be much of a help going to a convertible.

Thanks guys but I myself am not going to build a convertable. I was just seeing as I saw a couple on ebay and was wondering if that could maybe be a solution to the header issue with the convertable. I myself am going to build a coupe as it seems to be alot easier. So I take it that no one knows of any black switchs that are the same as a fiero? Thanks -Eddie T.