Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what are these things? ;)

what are these things? ;)

ripping apart whats left over from the car, I encounted these magical things...

Part 1: The Apple Juice can

Well this was a funny peice, we even joked about the managers at pontiac telling there employees to hurry up drinking that apple juice so they could put the containers on the fieros lol anyhoo what is it? Do I need it? can I replace it with a better one cuz this has a big azz hole in it lol Ohhh ya my parts car fiero doesnt have it and the engine runs like a champ

Part 2: The magic hose

(back of the car)
    Ok While ripping apart my engine i figured piss i dont need A/C the darn car is comvertable! so I ripped the hoses and things off but i kinda forgot what holes go where since it was a ling time ago so im hoping these were the right ones and it goes all the way to the front? is this right? I cant tell cuz when i got the car it was already dissconnected at the front of the car

(this is the front of the car that the back hose leads to)

ThanX
    Brad

Re: what are these things? ;)

That first pic is the Purge Canister (also known as a Fuel Vapor Canister) that collects fuel vapors allowing for expansion and condensation of the fuel vapors for emissions. If you have a later model, you will also fine one under the passenger side rear fender that is shaped more like a triangular lunch box.

The other two are obviously AC lines. The first should hook up to a female mount that is located up the engine side firewall, driver's left. That line should cross over to the AC pump.

The final pic is to the AC system in the front of the car. It's hard to tell for sure from the pic but I'm guessing it's routed a bit off course and should be running up to the AC Condensor next to the Brake Booster. If it's not that one, it's the part that hooks up to the AC Radiator?

I hope that helps.

Scott
    -------

Bottom pic is big and little metal tubes for the AC evaporator?, the radiator looking thingy that attaches in front of the radiator. Can't help you with the Apple juice can,,,,,,,,hhmmm,,,,,,apple juice,,,,,thirsty,,,,,,,,,,hmmm.* *8)

The "apple juice can" is actually your vacuum tank. If you remember, the older cars and possibly other cars, have this but it looks more like a sphere and it's black and plastic. What the heck is a vacuum tank good for? Why does your air compressor have a tank... It holds reserve. Same with vacuum. You have a tank to hold the vacuum, so when you use things that need the vacuum and need a lot of it instantly..., you have pleanty to use, and your car will generate more as the engine runs. Some cars have a lot of things that run on vacuum, I think the fiero only has the cruise, brake boost, and the charcoal canister to purge gas fumes from the tank.

Your purge canister is actually your charcoal canister, it doesn't have a purge valve like the newer cars does, so I don't think it's technically a purge canister, more less just a charcoal canister. Anyway, that device is closer to your firewall, it sits beside the air filter canister on a stock 2.8. Not sure on a 4 cyl.

Hope that helps with the first pic. I've been doing fiero work for 10 years...

Quote Originally Posted by FREf355
    The "apple juice can" is actually your vacuum tank.* If you remember, the older cars and possibly other cars, have this but it looks more like a sphere and it's black and plastic.* What the heck is a vacuum tank good for?* Why does your air compressor have a tank... It holds reserve.* Same with vacuum.* You have a tank to hold the vacuum, so when you use things that need the vacuum and need a lot of it instantly..., you have pleanty to use, and your car will generate more as the engine runs.* Some cars have a lot of things that run on vacuum, I think the fiero only has the cruise, brake boost, and the charcoal canister to purge gas fumes from the tank.
    You win the prize.

Quote Originally Posted by DKOV

The other two are obviously AC lines. The first should hook up to a female mount that is located up the engine side firewall, driver's left. That line should cross over to the AC pump.

I hope that helps.

Scott
    -------
    I disagree... 'Part 2"the magic hose" 'pic does not attach drivers side firewall. Reverse it.! The 'muffler' end attaches to the AC compressor.
    Sandy

I belive thats the fuel vaper recovery canaster.You should be able to find a replacement at the wrecking yard.Your car should run fine with out it,but if you have a smog test,it may fail.Should be an easy replacement...
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

It's not the fuel vapor canister... It's the vaccum tank, the vapor canister is at another location.

Duane wins the prize. It is a vacume can. If it was a vapor canister it would not be connected to the vacume for the cruise control. There is also a vapor can in the cars.

hmmmok so this vacuum can is kinda useless? hmmm so if i take it out whats the worset that will happen, loose HP? will my exhaust smell funny?
    hmmm i just donno cuz its rusted right throught the bottom so i gotta find something to do...and my new 2.8 v6 I have for this car doesnt have the container geeer... and thats that thing above the juice can? my partsw car doesnt have that eaither
    thanX every1
    Brad