Thread: Clutches

Clutches

Most of you know that I am tring to work with Spec Clutches tring to get a flywheel made to fit on the Northstar and I have 5 to 6 others wanting in on getting one made. However it seems that Spec is giving me the run around! I have been talking with Centerforce and Ram Clutches and they seem they can get the job done and they say they can build a better set up?
    Any input?
    I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.

Re: Clutches

Ok so here is my idea.
    What is better than a centerforce???? I have had great luck with them.
    The biggest problem is going to be balance and flywheel.
    Leave the factory ring gear/flex plate so the starter has something to work on. It is pefectly balanced for the aluminum NStar.
    Have a neutral balance flywheel made and bolt it onto the crank also behind the flex plate with longer bolts.
    Find out what the flywheel surface distance into the bellhousing should be for the transmission you are using.
    Make a trans to engine adapter plate the thickness to achieve your desired distance.

What do you think? Simple huh?

Jim

kitcarnut

I,m using Bully clutch, it is custom made to order. http://bullyclutch.com/
    it is expensive but rated for 450hp. they do Fiero/N* flywheel etc.

I go to my local clutch and brake rebuilder and get my clutch disc made and use the center force pp. I use a brass button disc. The only bad thing is it will slip alittle in till it gets warm in cold weather. I use that in my Mustang it's got 557hp with Nos. the only thing I tear up is the trany once a year or so.

Kstix, no thanks. I would like it to be alot more sound than that!
    Kitcarnut I have sent them an e-mail, I will post what they say and thanks.
    I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.

kitcarnut

I think I paid $650 Canadian( 450 US )for stage 1 , now my friend who owns a real 5000S ordered a clutch from them and it is 15000 rpm proof.
    Lambo dealer wants like around 5 Gs and they don't even last as others. before I had Centerforce and it was good.

I just got off the phone with David and I DO have good news.
    They are done, and they can be shipped tomorrow, today is a little close to there last shipping time of the day.
    But tomorrow for sure "or so I am told".
    Each person wanting to buy a flywheel needs to contact Spec directly, I am not going to be collecting any money.
    There is no part number needed, everyone there knows that the Cadillac Northstar for the Fiero was completed.
    Here is all the info. to contact Spec:
    Spec Performance Clutches, INC.
    3420 Davey Allison Blvd.
    Hueytown, AL 35023
    Orders: 1-800-828-4379 "this phone may not be working right just yet"
    Tech: 205-491-8581
    Fax: 205-491-8593
    Email: sales@specclutch.com

The final price for the Flywheel is going to be $399

There is going to be a package deal for all of us if you buy the flywheel and a clutch.
    There are three clutches you should consider, they depend on how your going to drive the car.
    A stage 2 is going to be an ok setup for people that are not going to be "hot rodding, racing, or alot of playing around".
    The stage 3 is going to take whatever you throw at it, it will hold the power without any question, however the stage 3 is harder to drive, the clutch is an on or off clutch and what I mean by that is as its let out when it catches it catches, I mean it holds! There is no feathering the clutch, period!!!!!!
    He did tell me there is a newer clutch called the stage 3 K, he tells me it holds just as well as the stage 3 when its full enaged but has the drivablity of a stage 2, and it just about $20 or $30 more than the stage 3.

Also I was told they will have the standard Spec warranty on both the flywheel and clutch.
    So, after a long long long time we have it done. Did I do good or what?

You have "DONE GREAT". That is what this forum is suppose to be about. Friends helping each other to get their hobbies completed.

Nice price too!

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.