Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tr side strakes

tr side strakes

i finally seen my first real testarossa in person saturday,well i seen a couple going down the road when i worked in atlanta,but this was the first one,ive ever been able to [check out],the lexus dealership here in chatt. tn. has acquired one.anyway i fell in love with the sidestrakes,i never liked them until i seen one in person.anybody have any tips on what i should use to make them out of,the way they are made on the real car loks impossible to duplicate without a lot of expensive equipment,you would have to study them in detail to see what i mean,they look simple in pictures but there not.i seen on an old post where someone said they used something with beviled edges,i think it was something that you could get from home depot in the curtain rod [curtain] area.i looked all through the local h.d with no luck,and i cant find the old post.i just want something as light as i can use with a beviled edge.

Re: tr side strakes

Nooooooo!!! Sorry it's your car ;D... I was wondering if you were going to do the side strakes, because you hadn't posted anything about them. My preference is to keep them off like the Hamman or Koenig, but it's just a preference. The ex-owner of our company has an '84. I managed to get some detail shots of it a couple of weeks ago. I think I even have some close-ups of the strakes. If I do, I'll post them when I get home.

Keep up the good work, Mike....

Bob

Edit:
    Here are two pics. Not real detailed, but show the sides:

Note, that's my Montana next to it :'(
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

How about useing yard sticks

Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

bondo bob,i smoked all the yardsticks i had.they re hard to keep lit ,but the buzz is awesome lol.i understand how to mount the strakes and i can make all the pieces,what i am asking is does anyone know of a source for some aluminum about an eigth of an inch thick,with a beviled edge,there was a post on this site a while back about some kind of curtain rods that could be bought commercially that had a beviled edge.i dont want to have to buy alum. and do all that filing to make the edge beviled.i cant make them like oems,but i can make something really nice and believable with thin aluminum.i swear i remember a post where somebody bought some kind of curtain rods at home depot that were just the right bevil and thickness,maybe im wrong.

Hey Mike,
    you aren't crazy, that was me, home depot carries curtain holders in various lengths that have the rolled edge on both sides, you can buy a set and cut towards the inside with tin snips, leaving tabs front and rear to bend over and run screws through

jd

thanks jdoor,ill go to my local home depot again and ask,i couldnt find anything similiar on my last visit

The Needles Dance, The Gauges Glow,
    As Engine Speed & Heartbeat Grow,
    Gears They Shift 'Neath Anxious Thumbs,
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES...
    Formerly: Powerhouse

www.facebook.com/TheCalgaryBatman

My opinion
    If you use tin it will be a nightmare to make them all look straight. The strates are about 3/8" thick with the rounded edge out.
    I suggest a plastic supply store (mylar, coreplas, lucite, plexiglass) type of store and ask them about a product used to reinforce the inside of boat hulls. It is a hard plastic that won't crack like plexiglass and it comes in 3/8" thickness. Make a jig and cut it out with a router.

jdinner, the tr i looked at,the strakes are not anywhere near 3 eigths thick,they look to be about .030 ,and id say theyre aluminum,the outer edge has a roll on it,thats why i always thought they were thicker,because thats what they look like in pictures,this is the only tr ive ever seen in person,the newer models may be thicker,the car i looked was a 90 model,thanks jdinner,i may end up using plastic.i found the curtain holders at home depot today,and they look ideal to make them out of,but im scared theyre they may not be wide enough to use in the qtr. panel area,ive made some patterns put of thin paneling,but i have to measure them at the widest point to see if the curtain holders will work.any tips are appreciated