Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the largest 18" front tire sizeI can put on a AD355 with a 1" drop front

What is the largest 18" front tire sizeI can put on a AD355 with a 1" drop front

and can I use a 9" front wheel or am I limited to a 8" rim.

My objective is to go non-staggerred for (tire price, rim price, rotational issues).

I want the largest front sizing for front without turning issues so I can match that size for back. Plus the more meat in front the better (less jarring) the ride.

Please only answer this question if you know for a fact. Dont wanna buy my stuff because you guessed at your advice. LOL

Re: What is the largest 18" front tire sizeI can put on a AD355 with a 1" drop f

I have 17x9 up front with about a 1.5 drop no rubs yet.

Re: What is the largest 18" front tire sizeI can put on a AD355 with a 1" drop f

I have 18's with a 1.7" front and 1.8" rear drop (Intrax) and no rubbing.

How are you guys getting away with 1.7" and 1.5" drops. I cut the inner mount flanges off my front fenders to mount them lower and I still had to drop the suspension about 3.5". And YES my 17X9's rub so bad I had to cut into the floor pan to allow clearance.
    Does the AD fender have a lower wheel well or is it going to look like a 4X4???

The tire rubbing depends on the offset. On the Mirage kit I had an 8.5 inch wide wheel on the front with no rubbing issues. The car was lowered 3 inches in the front using a Ryane Motorsport Slalom front suspension. I am now using the Air Dynamics body on the car with OEM Ferrari wheels (7.5 X 18), no rubbing issues, same suspension.

When you add a wheel adapter, the pivot point changes scrub angle is changed. Too big an adapter and the scrub radius is like holding a hammer at the end of the handle increasing the arch of the movement rather than the twisting motion like twisting a cap off of a cold one while trying to figure this geometry out in your garage. Keep the center of the rim close to the pivot point and you have a good chance to get the wheels to clear properly.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

So Dave..? If you dumped yours 3 inches, how are some people getting away with a 1 inch drop?
    When I made my countach I lowered the body onto the frame until it looked right and welded her there. You just can't do this with a 355 replica.
    My case, I removed the front springs completely and let it rest on the bump stops. This made it the right height.
    I cut them out and made my own coil overs to replace the bump stops. It rides pretty good on the road considering all the changes.

Carlos here in Toronto changed his kit so that the wheel openings are lower. This kit will accept drop spindles and you're done with the suspension mods.
    I can't seem to find a picture right now.

Jim

Here is the suspension on FunnyWheels. The body sets down on the car just fine when all of the parts are installed on it to add some weight.

Dave

The Mirage had a 1 inch drop in the rear, 3 inch in the front. The rear fender of a Mirage is lowered to make the tire fit better. I had to drop the AD kit another inch in the rear because the rear fender is the same as OEM 355. The Mirage also hit the front edge of the rocker panel with this set up. No problem on the AD kit. I also have an "X" frame under the car in the event it hits a speed bump so it will not damage the fiberglass.

The AD kit sits level on my new set up with enough space above the tire so I don't have any rubbing challenges. I also used heavy springs on the set up to firm up the ride.

Jim
    Sorry but I can only tell you that I have a 86 Fiero and an AD kit I only had to drop the front between one and one and a half inches I am using the Cobra R as you are and they are 17x9 front and 17x10.5 rear the fronts are 45s and the rears are 30s the rear is not dropped because of the SBC in back dropped it to a perfect fit. The stance is as the real car giving a 1/4-inch or so the rest of the suspension is stock except for the big vented and drilled brakes I added. I only have one-inch front and 2-inch rear wheal adapter and yes they are wheel and hub centric and that is it. It has to be the kit because I donít think the Fieros are that different. Buy the way you car is looking very good you are doing the same as I. I bought a used sewing machine from and upholstery shop and I am doing my top and interior myself. They wanted too much to make me a custom convertible top.