Thread: Spacers VS making your own control arms

Spacers VS making your own control arms

Well I know its been done but im gonna do it again ha ha...I was thinking of doing rear controlo arms like Don hs done on his (which are really good) but sicne my dad cannot do them at this time and I am not good at trusting my self not to do them I was woundering about Spacers...I have heard soo much bad but recently I have been hearing about some being good... any suggestions on both? and some pics of spacers with the rims would be nice to to see how noticable it is...
    Brad

Re: Spacers VS making your own control arms

For sure they will be noticeable on the rear. Average size is between 3" and 4" wide adapters.
    Rather than making new control arms, the next time I do this I am going to cut the engine cradle down the middle and widen it instead. Then all I need to do is make a bracket to adapt the lower strut mount, lengthen the axles and remount the engine cradle to the frame.

jdiner ,i would like to do that also,and im like you i think it can be done.but everyone i mention it to says you cant do it.id like to hear how you are going to do it,it looks doable but i have trouble with stufff like that.after seeing your sliding cvt. top it should be easy for you.i think the after,market suspension stuf is way overpriced .ive never lengthened any axles ,would you do that your self,and if you have time id like your thougths on the new strut mount bracket mod.another reason id like to widen the car in this area is because i like the idea of using the most gm parts as i can,ive always had better luck with factory stuff

jdinner, I would love to see you do all of that, right now i can't see every thing that you would have to do but i would love to see some pics and such. How do u widen axles? If you widen Axles would they be able to with stand all the weight and HP?

Thanks,
    Tom

Cutting the frame down the middle sounds good but the problem comes in when you have to cut and redue the cratel mounting points. Since there is so much to modifie it needs to be done on a frame machine because if 1 piece by a 1/8 your whole alignment is fd. Why not design a cratel from scratch? Or design lower control arms (it will be cheaper and safer)

Don is a talented guy with the tools to get the suspension built properly. In my opinion, the rear swing arms are nothing to play around with. Get a good quality spacer made from aircraft grade materials, use load bearing studs, lug and hub centric. Paint them flat black and drive the car. About $250 and your done. Since they donít turn like the front wheels do, they will work fine. You really only get in trouble on the front when adding a 2 inch spacer to a wheel on a Fiero spindle that has trouble handling the regular stress of the stock Fiero stuff. The scrub radius is not changed and the wheel will not hit the fender like it will on the front.

I spent $450 just getting my axles cut, rewelded and clinically stress relieved so they would not break under stress. If you move out the suspension on the frame by 4 inches per side, then you need to move the top of the spring out 4 inches as well. In order to do that , the shock tower might need to be modified and smaller strut springs with adjustors will also be needed. If it is expensive to do aftermarket, you are creating a night mare otherwise.

Just my $.02 worth, I have been there and tried all of the above before contacting Ryane Motorsports and Held Motorsports to finally get it done right.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

another thing would be me being afraid of all the horror stories...im planing on taking this car to london (which is 30 km away and another 30 km back) so i dont want my wheel flying off ... ya know what looking at held motorsports site I think I might just pay the extra and get it done right! if Im doing allll this work and wanna keep this car for a number of years I wanna do it right
    geeer theres only 1 problem I have...held motorsports Tubular Lower Control Arm page has not worked for about a darn year ! lol maybe ill just have to e-mial them or call them...
    ThanX guys for all your help!
    Brad

E-mail them again. They will respond. The guys name is Lee Waldmiller. He is great to do business with. I would have the parts shipped without any powder coat on them so you can clean up the welds etc before you install them on your car. The part you actually want is called Anti-Bump Steer in a +4 configuration. Do you have a source for axles? In addition, you should change your upright castings to those of an 88-89 Olds Ciera or Buick of that year. They have larger bearings. You could also locae an axle for one side of your set up by replacing the drivers side with the passenger side axle. It is longer then get an axle from a Pontiac Transport van for the passenger side. The transport will use the larger bearings and splines on the axle. Some modifications will be required.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I built my own, and have energy susp part numbers for what I have done. I have made five sets of these, and they are great. The issue with spacers on the rear is when the car is lowered, your CV joint angles are severe, not to mention travel will be nil. Here is the link.

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/s...044/f3554.html

Erick