Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power corvette mirrors vs. fiero

Power corvette mirrors vs. fiero

Alright I got austins corvette mirrors wired up for him........ just one slight problem :-[, the mirrors still have power running to them even though the car is off. Are the fiero power mirrors set up to be able to function even if the car is off and if they don't would having the power running to them cause a large enough drain on the battery to worry about? Thanks -Eddie T.

Re: Power corvette mirrors vs. fiero

I don't know Ed, let me look it up in the book and get a real answer for you.

If nothing is running then there shouldn't be a battery draw problem.
    To check for a battery draw / draining problem, disconnect your negative battery cable, connect a test light to the negative cable and the negative post. (in series). If the light lights up then current is flowing. Make sure your door is not open and the key is not on. Also make sure you don't have a underhood light trying to turn on too.
    The smallest of bulbs or power drain will make the test light light up.

The mirrors will not be hot when the ignition is turned off...Hook them to a "keyed" hot wire going into the directional control switch. The wires going to and from the mirrors connect to the directional control switch. The mirror is hot only when the directional control switch is pushed to provide a direction for the mirror motor to run.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Unless it is a heated mirror too. This is what I was thinking. The mirror heater could be wired ON all the time. That would be hard to find.

Heated mirrors are not on 7/24 but only when the ignition is on.* There may be a way to defeat the heater on a mirror as well. I think we have a wiring challenge. Your thoughts?

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicilian Jr.
    Alright I got austins corvette mirrors wired up for him........ just one slight problem :-[, the mirrors still have power running to them even though the car is off.
    If someone doesn't understand switched and non-switched power sources and they are wiring up power mirrors without common electrical knowledge, anything can happen.
    I had a Corvette in my shop one time where the owner installed a radio (didn't mention this part though) and wired a interior light circuit to an ouput on the radio causing the battery to die overnight. It took me a whole day to find the problem.

I got my side mirrors installed and wired up and working i also took pics. I found a way to solve the problem if you just push the power side mirrors switch to the middle no power goes to the mirrors.
    Tried to post pics but wont let me i will try again later.

Maybe I am missing something, but why wouldn't you just run the power supply wire through the a switched terminal on the fuse box? That way you eliminate a lot of potential drain problems....

im have no knowledge in doin that so i would have no clue where to start.