Thread: Gas Lid

Gas Lid

What did you guys use to bolt the gas pipe to the new location and to finish it off with a nice look (Daves car) and did you use the fiero mechanism for it and if so how did you do it? thx austin

Re: Gas Lid

Austin:

Thanks for the complement.

Here is how I put mine together.* It might provide some tips for your car.

I did disassemble the pipe from the tank and shorten it to fit where I needed the opening.* I used fuel line from a marine store to join the parts back together in a safe fashion.* I made a bracket to mount the pipe to the Fiero frame so I would not look like Dale Jr. if someone where to tap the car at that point.* See photo.

Then I trimmed the Fiero gas bucket and used JB Weld to attach it to the inside of the fender,* The gas flap in my case is a piece of aluminum sail boat mast attached to the Fiero fuel door (shapped like the 355 to fit) with JB Weld.* All of the stock Fiero cables and parts can be used in this method.* The gas cap is painted silver to look like the 355.*If something breaks later on you can simply re-use the Sail Boat part and Fiero gas filler parts. This is very easy to do. I hope I have been of some assistance.

Dave

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicilian Jr.
    What did you guys use to bolt the gas pipe to the new location and to finish it off with a nice look (Daves car) and did you use the fiero mechanism for it and if so how did you do it? thx austin
    I used the Fiero lid and mechanism if you put the lid in the oven at 350% you can bend it to the shape you need then comes the fun part I used my porter power and bent the gas tub forward so I did not even have to disconnect the line then glassed the housing to the back of the quarter panel

It works great and if it brakes I just bend another Fiero one and its done no special crap to have to make or buy again.

Austin,
    I used the fiero lid and the filler panel. This will allow you to simple bolt on the door and even retain the fieros gas door opener. What I did was grind off the lip around the filler housing to allow the gas door to sit flush with the rear quater and then I fiberglassed it into place. For the gas door, I used a propane torch to heat up the plastic and bent it into shape. I do think the oven technique would work also... For the inlet connection, I cut the tubes (there is the inlet and a vent) and reattached the tubes with fuel grade tubing. It wasnt as hard as I thought it would be. Oh... If you use a sawsaz to cut the tubes, make sure you clean out the tubes well seeing there will be metal slivers everywhere. I even ran a magnet down the tube just to make sure I got them all out. You dont have to worry about exploding the gas fumes because a sawsaz does not create a spark while it is cutting...

http://www.angelfire.com/ri2/ferrari_spyder/Rear.html the first 9 photos take you through it step by step....

I am placing a fuel cell under the front hood and mounting a fuel door hinge to the large wing emblem on the front fender. That way I do not have to open the front hood every time I need to fill up. The emblem will appear to be smooth and flush mounted until I release the gas door switch.
    Pretty unique idea I think.
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions