Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SBC V-8 swap question

SBC V-8 swap question

I am having trouble with a SBC V-8 and a 5 speed Getrag. The throw on the throwout bearing is just over a 1/2" more than what a stock throw is using a V-8 Archie and a Centerforce Clutch. I called V-8 Archie today and he thinks its due to me using an aftermarket throwout bearing, to replace it with a GM Delco bearing?
    I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.

Re: SBC V-8 swap question

I'm having the same problem

We need to help each other here, its driving me nuts, I am going to have time early next week to play with this some more I will let you know what I find out.
    I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.

When you say is has a 1/2" more throw that tells me there is no way the Fiero slave will travel far enough to disengage the pressure place. Make sure of a few things first.
    Put a line on the master pushrod (under the dash) and measure the travel from top to bottom. Do not measure the free movement at the top.
    Do the same thing at the slave. They should be equal.
    If it is not, it is most likely air in the system or a bent pedal.
    If it is and all you need is that extra 1/2" travel to make it work you could try some custom work.
    On my car I moved the slave cylinder lower and redesigned the release bearing lever so the slave push rod contacts it about 3/4" lower, closer to the pivot point. This changes the leverage (not a problem, just harder to push slightly) and increases the throw on the lever.
    Let me know

Jim

After putting a heaver clutch in one of my cars, my old Aluminum peddle twisted and I had to replace it with a steel one. After that it worked fine. There was a recall done on the Aluminum
    Clutch peddles..... Maybe this will help.

Quote Originally Posted by KitCarGuy
    After putting a heaver clutch in one of my cars, my old Aluminum peddle twisted and I had to replace it with a steel one.* After that it worked fine.* There was a recall done on the Aluminum
    Clutch peddles..... Maybe this will help.
    I have already bought the new steel peddle from the Fiero store it is not the peddle new slave cylinder and rod I'm thinking of making a longer one to see if it will work. ??? ???

Making a longer slave pushrod will do nothing unless you make it so long that the clutch is partly disengaged.
    Do you have freeplay at the pedal? Pull up on it too.
    If make a longer master pushrod, this will make a bit of a difference. If you bend your pedal or change the pushrod location on your pedal this will make a big difference too.

Its not even in the car, I marked the throw on the housing betfore it was pulled apart. The problem is tat the throw out bearing goes to far down its shaft and it just about falls off it before it would be engaging.

Sounds to me your engine spacer is too thick. The release bearing and transmission are too far away from the flywheel.
    Is this a possibility?
    Perhaps you should space your flywheel closer to the transmission.
    This is going to take some detailed measuring to find this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jdinner
    Sounds to me your engine spacer is too thick. The release bearing and transmission are too far away from the flywheel.
    Is this a possibility?
    Perhaps you should space your flywheel closer to the transmission.
    This is going to take some detailed measuring to find this problem.
    If he is as I the adapter came from V8 Archie and is the same thickness as all the others out there working.