Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint help!!!!

Paint help!!!!

Hello everyone, well the car finally got painted today. I used Dupont, nasaon - ful-thane 2k paint. I had to spray the car outside, which didnt help anything... so anyway, I now have some inperfections form debre but the major problem is orange peel. Can I wet sand and buff it out? wet sand it and apply a coat of clear coat?? I am not really sure...one good thing I can say that I didnt find a single run!! For those who are wondering why I sprayed it outside, I didnt want to spray it in the garage because I have 3 dogs in the house and didnt want them to breath in the paint fumes. now I have helathy dogs but orange peel!! eagerly awaiting your replies. I will add some photos later tonight when I get them back from the store.

Re: Paint help!!!!

How many coats of paint did you apply?Is it a solid color or a matilic?

Good questions from Bob. If the paint it thick enough wet sand it out. You can even dry sand it as long you don't go through the color. Even if you do go through, spot spray it and let it dry. Sand it again then lay on the clear. If you are going to clear it outside too, put on lots extra, this way you can block sand it smooth and buff polish it to a mirror finish.
    Next time try less air pressure and move away from the surface slightly.
    I am not a body man or a painter, just trial and error taught me this.
    I await Bob's suggestions.

Cheers
    Jim

hi guys,
    thanks for the info so far......I applied 3 coats of solid red, no metaillic.....

oh I forgot to mention,I am not planning on using a clear coat on the car...

gleen that is a real good paint,its duponts generic version of imron,i wouldnt use clear over it.1500 sand itand buff it and if you do it right it will look like a mirror.polyurethane paint[imron] gets real hard and its very durable,it was designed for aircraft.just be careful sanding and buffing,you should have enough paint on there.most of the better detail shops have someone there that can give you some tips,hell a lot of detail shops will colorsand and buff one cheaper than you can buy the stuff and do it yourself

Mike,
    Should I wet or dry sand it? I already have the 1500 sandpaper. What do I use for buffing compound?

Here are a few photos...

the car in primer..

being painted...

another shot of it painted... love this color red!!

This last shot shows what I had to go throught... the fiero is the donor for the AD kit (it doesnt run) and the truck has no brakes and a broken trany line so I couldnt move that one either.

This is how I polished my car;
    I wet sanded it with 1200 paper on a foam block (3M velcro paper), periodically scraping it with a bondo spreader or wiper blade to see if the finish is even. Once there was no imperfections after scraping it I dried the surface and I used 3M Perfect-It III Rubbing Compound ($40.00CDN) with a 2400RPM polisher on a 3M Compound Pad. Repeat process twice.
    Next step use the same speed polisher with a 3M Finishing Compound with a 3M Buffing Pad, repeat process twice. Then I used 3M Glazing Compound with a foam pad. Do not use wax. Give it a few weeks.

Thanks jim,
    How long did you wait to wet sand the car?

Nice paint glenngdman.Just wondering if you sealed the fiberglass?Im not sure what it's made if,but when I saw someone spay sealer on fiberglass it looked like silver primer to me,I belive it prevents the fiberglass from drying out the paint.Looks like a killer paint job to me.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!