Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Bumper Problem

Front Bumper Problem

I need help. Since I cut the rockers and remolded them I noticed that the front bumper looks higher. From the bottom of the rocker to the floor it is 4 inches. But, from the bottom of the bumper to the floor it is 8 inches. That is a 4 inch difference.

I am thinking of cutting the front bumper and lowering it. But, does anyone know the inch difference from the floor to the bumper and the rocker? On the real one it looks like the bottom of the rocker is a little lower then the bottom of the bumper but by how much? Thanks

Re: Front Bumper Problem

gerard .t [formerly known as big pimpin not]. it looks to me like you beltline is not straight.the pic of your car is a little small,so i cant tell how much but i see what i think is the problem ,if you put a line all the way down the beltline[ the center line ,soome people call them stylelines,the groove all the way down the sides of the car]put a line all the way down the side ,i used a business card,on the picture of the authenic 355,go from the qtr. panel to the front of the ft. fender and youll see that it is a straight line all the way down the side of the car.your car looks like the fender forward of the ft. tire is cut up to high,again the picture is to small ,i cant tell 100 percent,but that is what it looks like.what i would do to correct it if it was mine ,use a line down the beltline of you car,string with a naked assistant or laser line,cut the fender about a half an inch up from where it meets the top of the ft. bumper and add however much it takes to make that section of the ft. fender in a straight line with the beltline.if you ft. end is one piece ,i think it is but i cant tell by the picture,just cut the fender at the same place and the bumper will still be attached to the fender section,but depending on your front bumper inner structure,you may have to move it down also.if your beltline is not straight,even if you cut the bumper below the beltline and make it lower,the car will still look funny in that area.i know i suck at explaing things and when i do everything sounds complicated,if you dont understand,post a picture of your car the same size as the silver 355 you posted and ill tell you exactly whats wrong with it

I agree. From that picture, it does look like your entire front area is pointing up... again... it may just be the picture.

I'd definitely suggest mike d.'s idea of having a naked assistant help you hold some string from the front to the back of the middle groove and see if it's perfectly straight.

If you have a perfect side shot, that should help us see what is wrong as well.

Let us know what you found out.

Ken

A little dark but I hope you could see. I tried the naked girl thing but she said it was to cold ;D.

After lookig at it for a while the bumper is more narrow on my kit then the real one. But how much should I lower it. Would 3" be to much. By doing that then the rockers would be 1" closer to the floor then the bumper. With the rocker being 4" off the floor then the bumper would by 5" off the floor. What do you think?

I measured wrong the rocker is 2 1/4" of the ground (that is really low).

Just from what I've seen from kits and the real car, it always looked like the front bumper was about an inch higher off the ground than the rockers. Take a look at the picture here to see.

Hopefully that link worked... I'd hate to become a criminal and copy the photo myself.

that picture is a little better,i put a line dowwn it,all you need to do is make the forward part of the fenders in a straight line with the beltline,the car will look correct if you do that.no matter what you do ,that car will look funny until you correct that problem.

The rocker is hanging too low by 2 inches. I had a similar problem with my Mirage kit and didn't want to do the same on the Air Dynamics build up. I cut my Fiero doors and moved the bottom of the door up, then I had room to move up the rocker on the rear 1/4 panel and align it properly with the front bumper bottom. You will need to trim off the bottom of your front fender near your door and move up the rocker in that area as well.

Let me know if you need me to email you some photos.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Thanks for the photo I could actually see the line on the car better and the curve of the quater panel. Mike I did what you said and now I see the difference. I am going to cut the bumper from the quarter panels and then I am going to redo the quarter panel a little lower and then reattach the bumper. Dave I had cut my door 2" as well to get the rockers higher. But the front part of the rocker only has 1/4" difference from the top of the rocker to the bottom of the door. I am starting to think that lowering the front 1.8" was a bad idea. I am going to cut the door up a little more and try to move the rocker up. Thanks. I will post the updates on the rocker tomorrow after I do it.