Thread: Converting a 4 cylinder into a V-6 ?

Converting a 4 cylinder into a V-6 ?

Now that my 4 cylinder is blown. I still have the rebuilt V-6 in the other fiero frame. I was thinking of just putting the V-6 in instead of getting a new 4 cylinder. Other then the motor mounts on the cratel what else do I need to do? Also how difficult is it to do?

Re: Converting a 4 cylinder into a V-6 ?

Coolant lines, exhaust, ECM, engine wiring, radiator... It's not that bad.. Just make everything match up with the donor car.
    http://www.fiero-performance.com/misc/songman355a.gif      Fiero-Performance.com      [url=http://www.fiero-performance.com/coastrun/]2nd Annual California Coast Run[/url

Thanks Songman. I also wanted to know, Can I bolt the V-6 to the 4 cylinder's 5-speed transmission or is it better to leave the V-6 connected to the 4-speed transmission.

Gerard T.
    I did this in my countach kit. Removed a 4 and installed a 6. Coolant hoses were not a big deal. I extended the fuel lines with 3/8" steel brake line and compression unions.
    I had some help from the guy that owns the Fiero Shop here in Toronto guide me thru the differences in the job. I could not get it to run right after that. HE DID NOT KNOW THAT 4 fuel pump is different than a 6 fuel pump. IDIOT! I had to figure it out on my own. 14PSI vs 35PSI.
    One other change is the fuse panel on the 4 cyl cars has 2 fuses missings. Install 2 fuses and fire it up, these fuses are for the injectors.
    Go with the 5 speed, you will be glad you did. I found a higher top speed even though everyone says the top speed is the same. I could shift into 5th when the speedo was straight down and buried.

Good Luck

Jim