Thread: Rear Suspension

Rear Suspension

I have a 86 Fiero GT that I am working on.As I drive down the freeway I notice how the rear seems to float (back and forth slightly)I have new shocks and struts.I belive I need a anti sway bar in the back.I think they put the antisway bar on 88 models.Any body got any improvements I can do to prevent this or any picks of an 88 rear suspension?...................................Than ks
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

kitcarnut

Re: Rear Suspension

I would first check all cradel bushings and the rest of suspension.

Ihave a 86 Fiero GT that I am working on. As I drive down the freeway I notice how the rear seems to float (back and forth slightly)I have new shocks and struts. I believe I need a anti sway bar in the back. I think they put the anti-sway bar on 88 models. Any body got any improvements I can do to prevent this or any picks of an 88 rear suspension?...................................Than ks

I have an 86 with a 355 rebody on it. I put Held Motor Sports Suspension on the car and it was still a bit squirrelly. Here is what Dave said to do. The front needs to be softer than the rear. I put an anti-sway bars on both the front and the rear with heavier springs in the rear than the front to keep the rear geometry almost neutral. (300# Front, 350# Rear) It seems the problem with Fiero stems from the fact that a front wheel drive set up was placed mid-ship in the Fiero chassis. The motion is called “Bump Steer” The Fireo has the tie rods tied off to the Fiero cradle to keep the wheels pointed straight ahead when in the natural zone. When we hit a bump the front of the wheel will point outward, when we hit a dip the wheel tows inward. The ride feels like the car wants to swap ends when going through the constant transition of bumps and dips. When the rear is stiffer, the motion almost goes away. Hope that helps.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

If you read enough of these articles you start to feel like an expert even if you haven't been there, but I had a rather long exchange with several people who were very aware of this problem of the 84 thru 87's that was corrected in the 88's. It is bump steer and there are items sold to correct or minimize this. One place to look is RCC speciality, they have a bump steer kit for the rear end.