Thread: Sewing

Sewing

I was wondering if anyone knows how to make the stitch pattern on the dash of the 355. I am doing as Jim and sewing and doing my own interior I bout all the material last week and was practicing last night with the sewing machine I bout but it goes really fast and I can not figure out how to slow it down the foot pedal is really touchy. I tried searching yahoo to see how they make that stitch but did not find anything. I'm assuming it is sewed together then you fold the sides over and sew each side having to sew each seem three times. Any Ideas on slowing the machine down and making the stitch I need.

Re: Sewing

Not sure what it looks like but it sounds like something like this

============== <stitch
    ........................... < seam
    ============= < stitch

if so

should be as simple as

fabric -----------------
    fabric -----------------
    sew ^

Fold the flaps back on each side then either sew each side down or purchase a double needle and
    so both down at the same time.

.. if I am way off base point us to a picture of what you want.
    Visit My KitCarOnLine Blog<br />http://www.kitcaronline.ca and Links Site at http://www.kitcars.ca

On a sewing machine, it's like a gas pedal,the more you step on the pedal the faster it goes.You can try putting something behind the pedal to keep it from going down too far.I have tried sewing once and it can be a pain,it takes some skill and practice.Practice on something for a while befor working on the good stuff.Be sure to use nylon thread rather than cotton,it will hold up much longer and is stronger.I would pay someone to do this kind of work (place an ad in the paper or ask around),it can be very trickey and takes time to build up a good skill at something like this.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Perhaps some gal friends you know might be able to help? I've sewed before, but not car upholestry. It's something that I wouldn't want to learn how to sew with.

Go to a sewing supply store and ask for a 'walking foot with and adjustable guide'. The walking foot will lift off the sticky vinyl or leather and allow it to move under the foot. The guide will keep your stick straight. If you have an industrial machine, just add a twin needle with a 7/16 of 3/8 inch gap. This will lay down 2 stiches at once.
    The satifaction of being able to say that you did it all will outweigh all the aggravation.

Good luck
    Jim

My machine already has a walking foot for sewing leather but I need to see about the guide and the needle you speak of. I bought the machine and the material to do my interior plus the 28.00 a yard cloth convt. Top material all for less than the shop wanted to cover my dash and door panels plus they did not even want to do the top. And I bought my materials from a upholstery wholesale place it is the same material you would get at a shop.

I would be interested in renting or buying the machine when your finished with it. I want to do my tio and so far I am not able toget anyone to tackle the job here in the Tampa Bay area.

Here is what the stitching on a replica interior look like.

Dave

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Yes that is what I plan on mine looking like that stitch is already in my seats so it would match the dash and door panels. I got lucky on the machine, found it on ebay and it was about an hour drive from me it cost me 150 bucks but that is cheap for a heavy-duty machine. If I ever get board I plan to make some spare dashes after adding the top piece off the fiero dash mine bolts in like factory and looks good I guess if some one had the extended windshield the 355 dash would fit out of the mold and not need to be modified ???