Thread: TESTES THE FIERO AND IT SMOKED

TESTES THE FIERO AND IT SMOKED

Hey guys, i just tested out the fiero i was looking at for a donor. the car is an 85 GT v6 standard and its been sitting in one spot for prolly a year now. the car looked like it was leaking oil, but it started up right away. sounded very clean, no knocks but then after about 5 minutes of running the engine started to smoke pretty badly...
    is their any reason for this, maybe the oil was buring or the radiator wasnt working right?
    and is their anything i should look out for the next time i go take a look at it.

this fiero is gonna be my donor so any information on why it smoked or what i need to look for would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks alot guys.
    (MAD) ???
    http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14115334210.jpg&s=x4

Re: TESTES THE FIERO AND IT SMOKED

my old 84 fiero did that after about five min it smoked alot then it went away i had a bad gasket and some oil would leak and drop on the manafold causing the smoke but after it warmed up it went away till the next time i started it. it could be that but the best thing is try to see where the smoke is coming from it could just be its been sitting for so long and needs to burn all that stuff off? or it could be somthing else?

Depends on the smoke. If it is bluish then it is oil and might be the rings but could just as easily be the oil seals in the valve train. If the smoke is white it is water which is a cracked head or leaking manifold gasket. If the smoke is black it is malfunctioning fuel system - too much gas.

How many miles are on the beast?

I purchase one that had 4 quarts too much oil in it once, but normally it is just old stuck rings or hard rubber hats on the valve stems.

If I were getting this one, I would think about an oil and filter change, add some Wynns friction proofing and drive the thing for a while before building the car.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Is the smoke coming from the tail pipes, or just all over? If all over, then it's oil on the exaust. Probably needs a new valve cover gasket.
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

I doubt it but it could also possibly be broken transmission lines which would cause massive amounts of smoke to burn as it hits the heated components of the engine...but that wouldnt stop at all till u turn off the motor.

Just make sure you don't end up with an engine fire. There's this dude on Pennock's forum and no joke, he's had 5 Fiero's catch on fire :.