Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complex/concave shapes in fiberglass.

Complex/concave shapes in fiberglass.

Since all of us here seem to be rather hands on I wanted to present a project that has been swimming in the back of my mind for some time. I finished the cobra, the riot is 95% there and the ferrari is as good as done so I want a project that I can take on cheaply that will give me some more complex fiberglass experiance.(Plus I have run out of garage bays) I want to build a set of replica B & W Natulius speakers.

they look like this

Just so you guys know thesse things are ~5 foot tall and 2 foot across.

I would like to build them myself, doing hand formed foam, but I am just knocking some ideas around in my head. They don't need to sound anything like the originals as that is not my purpose, I just want to have some fun and I have always loved the look of these things. I can buiild my own speakers to fit into this cab. and they will be very low power and the interior of the glass will be dynomated

So far my plan of attack is to build a internal wooden structure, this is effectivaly the start of the original's. Then use a expanding foam on them and carve out the shapes that I want. Using a real tight fiberglass build ~2-3 layers over the foam. Sand the heck out of them, use automotive filler on the outside, take them to the paint shop or airbrush them myself. I am going to use premade speaker mounts in the front which will have be be flushed in.

First question, what do you thiunk it will cost in supplies to make the shells, basically discount the paint and speakers.

Can I get a good curve on these things with expanding foam that will A. Hold up to fiberglass B be realitivly easy to get my hands on. I.E. spray on stuff.

Am I going about this the wrond way, example. Should I CNC the foam molds if I can create the item in rhino. Any idead's I really just need something to get my hand dirty again.
    1987 Mera (Sold)<br />1997 Riot (Sold)<br />1956 Vintage 356 (Sold)<br />Elite 917 (Sold)<br />65 Shelby cobra protoype (Sold)<br /><br />Looking for a complete TR512/ 550 spyder/ 356 Outlaw/ Unimog 416 Doka

Re: Complex/concave shapes in fiberglass.

I think the first question that needs to be asked is: " Where are the build-up pics of the Cobra, Riot, and Ferrari????"

Now back to your topic. I think you'd get the best results by making the foam core (by hand or CNC'd), then creating a fiberglass negative (or mold). Mold your finished part as two pieces, allowing you to dynomat the inside as you like, then bond them together. This will allow you to gelcote the external surface, providing you a better surface with less finish work. Finish off the joint/parting line and paint as desired.

Check out the forum at www.fibreglast.com for lots of info and cool projects others have done.
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Thanks for the link, I would gladly post the pictures of the cars if I could find a way to host them. I don't know of any free image hosters or one that is really really cheap.
    1987 Mera (Sold)<br />1997 Riot (Sold)<br />1956 Vintage 356 (Sold)<br />Elite 917 (Sold)<br />65 Shelby cobra protoype (Sold)<br /><br />Looking for a complete TR512/ 550 spyder/ 356 Outlaw/ Unimog 416 Doka

PM or email me and i'll give you a spot to easily dump pics for any forum, but you can just use the Upload an Image feature here...

also, CNC is plausible but you'll have trouble finding a machine bigger than 4 feet, and it will cost lots of $$$ at any size :
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Actully waiting for a quite right now from a guy ~2 miles up the street. His machine does lots of large scale props for hollywood and the like, we won't even have to cut it in half for his machine. Biggest thing is going to be getting the foam here in one piece. I am going to make one for a test then make ~4 or so for the home theater if I feel like it. They also make foam timberboard for high end housing. Kets you have the look of exposed beams without all that cutting down trees. Pretty cool in my book.

I will try and upload pictures of the cars tonight. If it's under 200 bucks for the CNC i will be happy, will save me tons of time shaping foam.

If you are able to make a mold let me know how much you would want for the rough fiberglass shell as I think two of those would look good in the apartment. Thanks

I don't know if I want to sell these, B&W has lawyers on the order of ferrari this is just for fun.

I want the quote back like now so I can start. I have to sell off some old race chevy parts to pay for supplies as this is just for fun.
    But If the first one comes out pretty I might sell some completed ones.

If your friends are audio guys there jaws will hit the floor, a set of these guys in the prestige series list for like 85K.

I have some real old 70's tube stuff sitting in the garage that I am going to hide in the case and maybe put the knobs and controls into the side of the right speaker.

On that note.

Anybody want a 9.5 inch 12 bolt detroit locker or 4 complete sets of nascar rims and tires to bolt to your cobra, I have a bunch of 60's-70's hurst stuff, cobra wnidwings. a couple of fire suppression systems. Or a 600hp blown chevy 350 complete. Man I got to clean the garage out its getting nut's.

Hmmm.. Sounds like you might have some stuff that would be cool in my street rod truck... Are you in CA?
    http://www.fiero-performance.com/misc/songman355a.gif&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Fiero-Performance.com&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; [url=http://www.fiero-performance.com/coastrun/]2nd Annual California Coast Run[/url

Yep, San Diego to be exact. I wlil have the Ferrari and the Cobra down at the speedweek show this weekend at the airbase, if you want to come and find me. I am the only guy running boost and a chevy in a cobra that I have seen. Also picture's of the riot which I hope to sell. If I can clean out the garage I have autorization from the girlfriend to order a Kirkam, which is what I have wanted since I started in the hobby.

The chevy motor is in the cobra which I am more then likely going to pull and drop in a decent 351 and sell the darn thing. The blown motor is a top grade racing head service job built to hold ~10-15 lb's of boost all day long at the track and should bring some good money.

Got a call from the CNC guy going down to check out the quite, wish me luck.

I wish I could come down but I'll be in Ventura visiting the father-in-law.You should bring that almost-finished Ferrari up to the Coast Run in November. We could use some high quality kits.
    http://www.fiero-performance.com/misc/songman355a.gif&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Fiero-Performance.com&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; [url=http://www.fiero-performance.com/coastrun/]2nd Annual California Coast Run[/url