Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 spd to Auto

5 spd to Auto

I was wondering if anyone knew what it takes to convert a 5 speed car (car is missing trans, and has a bad motor) in an 88 to a stock fiero 3 speed matched to a 3.4 from a 94 camero. Like a complete list of parts and maybe some body knows where to find an online tutoral. Thanks guys

Re: 5 spd to Auto

Eddie:

It is a lot of work. The parts you need were in the car Bondo Bob had. The complete engine, transaxle, axles, radiator, transmission coolant lines, shifter cable, shifter, transaxle mounts and so on.

Did you ask John Watson if he has one available. It is easier to go back to a 5-speed than to convert to an automatic. I will email you all of the 3.4 Camero information if you would like it. The hardest part is re-drilling the engine block to put the starter on the other side of the engine.

Just a few cents worth.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

If you are going to do it, get a 4T60 4-speed automatic instead of using the TH125 from the Fiero. It is a fair amount of trouble but it can be done. My wife's car started as an 87GT with a 2.8 and 5-speed. It then went to a 3100SFI from a 94 Cutlass with a 5-speed manual. Now it is a 3100SFI with a 4t60E automatic... I left the hydraulic lines in just in case we decide to change it again! haha
    http://www.fiero-performance.com/misc/songman355a.gif      Fiero-Performance.com      [url=http://www.fiero-performance.com/coastrun/]2nd Annual California Coast Run[/url

It's not as bad as it sounds. Although,Like Songman mentions, go with a newer (non-computer) 4 speed. You'll need mounts, like any engine swap, and the shift cable and shifter. With the engine out, the cable is pretty easy to put in. You'll need a new surround for the shifter. You can run new lines and use an external trans cooler, instead of switching radiators. Axles will need to be changed if using a non-Fiero trans, otherwise stock Fiero Auto axles will work. You'll also need to remove the clutch pedal (duh) and change some wiring. It should be easier than the engine swap, certainly no more difficult.
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

I was going to do the four speed 4T60 but when I talked to West Coast they said that off the line it was a dog of a trans. The actually words of the guy were "a Volvo with sneakers could and would kill you". I know these are the parts I need for the conversion. As my biggest thing is where I am worried about the swap is the transaxels are different.
    Things I know I need?
    Computer
    Transaxel Swap
    Transmission
    Raditator
    Shift Cables

Now what am I leaving out. Here is another question for you? If I take it back to a Five speed is there a way to adjust the clutch to feel like a newer stick. I drove a fiero stick and besides the gears being very close togeather I would have perfered the cluth to be more along the lines of newer cars where one does not have to push it down so hard to shift. I really would like to make it an automatic since I would be driving this as my main driver just trying to get a feel for the cost involved. Dave please do email all you have on the 3.4 swap as I have some materal now but more could never hurt. Thanks Guys

Personally, I love the 4T60E in Rie's car. The gearing in 1st gear is not all that different from the stock Fiero so the 'dog off the line' will be that way either way you go. But when you get into that high gear and realize you are turning 2300 RPMs at 90 MPH, you really start to love it! I honestly have to disagree with their impressions of this tranny... I love it!

Bob, if you can get the newer shifter and cables and make the mods to install them, that is fine.. But you can use the stock stuff. You do have to make a new notch in the stock shifter setup so you can get into low gear. Rie's car is still using the stock stuff.

On the shifter plate, on her car it was using the stock shifter plate until just before WestFest and I switched over to a manual shift plate. I really like the look of it now. To use a manual shift plate on an auto Fiero, you do have to do some notching on the front of the plate since the shifter goes farther forward. Then you can just put an aftermarker leather boot. I topped hers off with a newer button from a Grand Am. I think it looks pretty good.

http://www.fiero-performance.com/misc/songman355a.gif      Fiero-Performance.com      [url=http://www.fiero-performance.com/coastrun/]2nd Annual California Coast Run[/url

Songman but is there a difference in the gearing as you have a 4T60E and I would need a 4t60 as not to have to have another computer control the shift. If you could also send me a complete list of all the parts you used in the swap then that would be great. As I like the idea of a 4 speed since i do spend about 6 hours+ a week back and forth to school I just didn't want to give up alot off the line. That would be great if I can nail down this hurdle and start to order the parts I need.

Also I am also keeping the option open for keeping a five speed and was wondering if there was a way to make the stick/clutch drive like a newer stick. With a new clutch and pressure plate would I be able to acheive where the clutch engages halfway as my vertally challenged legs are not long enough to push the clutch all the way down and not be eating the wheel. Thanks for all the help

Hey Dale:
    Sorry, should have been more specific. I know you can use the stock Fiero (auto) shifter, but if Eddie has a manual, he needs the auto parts.
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Here are the gear ratios for comparison between the 4T60 and the TH125... Apparently there were several variations that were available within the 4T60 line for final drive ratio. The most common 3.33 is the one listed here... You can see that the 125 does have a slightly shorter gear for first, but it is not enough to be all that noticable in my opinion. And that .705 4th gear makes all the difference in the world!

4T60 Ratios (RPO: ME8)
    1st - 2.921
    2nd - 1.568
    3rd - 1.0
    4th - .705
    Reverse - 2.385
    Final Drive Ratio - 3.33

TH125 Ratios (RPO: MD9)
    1st - 2.84
    2nd - 1.6
    3rd - 1.0
    Reverse - 2.067
    Final Drive Ratio - 3.18