Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with removing "bow" in fiberglass

help with removing "bow" in fiberglass

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the "coke" bottle effect on my 355 doors? ??? I have heard that some builders leave the bow in the doors and install them just the way they are. My doors have a bow in the center of around 5/8 inch. I also heard that it is possible to heat the fiberglass and then straighten in but im not sure about this..... :-/ can anyone help please!!

Re: help with removing "bow" in fiberglass

If you heat the fiberglass you will destroy it. To remove the bow you have to scarf or cut the area and rework it by laying up the door with new glass on both sides, and work down the work on the outside of the pannel.But you are correct, 90% of builders leave the bow in the door.

If you take a length of angle steel and clamp it along the center of the door,and just fiberglass it in place it will work.(so long as you do it on the inside of the door skin)

If you take a length of angle steel and clamp it along the center of the door,and just fiberglass it in place it will work.(so long as you do it on the inside of the door skin)

This is the way most people do it.... or so I've heard

DKOV -

Well I am glad I talked to everyone here first becasue I was planning on heating the panel to straighten it (I was told by a builder thats how he would do it). Should I use something to bond the steel to the door before applying the glass?

If you check with your local fiberglass supplier, they can direct you to a suitable product to do your alteration.I would still recomend scarfing the inside if the pannel in order as to allow it to flex without causing too much undo stress. Otherwise the stress will cause the brace to let go and break off in the future.
    Keith S./ DRM Motorsports

Epoxy resin would provide a better bond in this case. If the panel was laminated with polyester it may already be fully cured by now and will not provide any molecular cross linking. Any bonding at this point would be from mechanical adhesion. Give it some good sanding and clean off any oil/grease.

Quote Originally Posted by BondoBob
    Note from Spoon, You want to be careful fiberglassing steel directly to a panel. You'll definetly want to bond it first with a urethane adhesive. I really like PL Premium (Lowes, Home Depot). I you just glass your steel on, you stand a very good chance of getting "tranfer" in time, to the outside of your door. Steel and fiberglass expand and contract at very different rates.

Re:help with removing "bow" in fiberglass

Does this forum alway's misspell your words when you post them? I said, Note form spoon. Not sthingy! Hopefully you get what I'm sayin' anyhow.

Re:help with removing "bow" in fiberglass

That's odd, I've never seen any problems with the board recording incorrect spelling. I'll look into it nonetheless.

- Ari