Thread: 4.9 Conversion

4.9 Conversion

Do you ever get the feeling as if you need to nail down what you are doing and then just do it without looking back? Well I feel just like that!!!! I have decided to get that 4.9 that was on eBay just a few days back and after I was able to get a response from the guy with a number to reach him, ended up being a very nice guy and I just could not pass up the deal. Therefore, I bought the 4.9 in the 88 fiero for $820 and change. So now, my project begins. Since the conversion is, already underway I talked to Ed Parks at The Fiero Factory and he said that since the car was not built with his parts that he would not want to work on it. There are a few things about the car that poses to be hurdles that I can hopefully overcome with the help of your input. The first being that the car has no power options including cruise, so I will need to be adding the power options (no problem) and Cruise (hard part). He has already married the engine to the stock fiero transmission, as I know usually people use the modified Cadillac trans but in his own words he got lazy, and I figured that since it is already done I would just keep it. Also I need to decide on a fuel injection system (excuse if my aberrations are wrong) between the SPI or TBI. I know the SPI is supposed to be the better system but isn't it also ALOT more work to get it hooked up. At the end of the day for everyday serviceability and daily driving, does it even matter? If there is any advice, you would like to share with me about if there was anything you would recommend to me then feel free. I think I am going to let the guy I bought it from finish the car and work out a deal with him on top of the car because he seems knowledgeable about the build, as this is his third. Please feel free to share any input, I am all ears. In addition, I promise that this will be my final answer and no more annoying posts about different engine swaps. Damn that Fast Eddie!!!!

Re: 4.9 Conversion

The correct addver. for the fuel injection system I am referring to is the TBI Throttle Body Injection and the PFI sequential Port Fuel Injection. Thanks Guys
    On a side note I have also noticed that the newer cars all have bigger rotors on the front wheels as it does a large percent of the braking, so why not just upgrade the fronts to the larger brakes?

I was just about to buy one of those myself a long time ago. You can pick them up for pretty low $$$. I think the one I was looking at was $900 complete. So you did pretty good.

Eddie:

The choice you made is a good one. The engine has a ton on torque and there are a few high performance parts out there for that engine. IF your using the stock transaxle, I saw one at Daytona and the guy said it is strong enough. He put a B&M shift kit in it and an external transmission cooler attached to the conversion. He said excessive heat is the enemy of the TH120.

I almost did one myself like Duane mentioned. We all seem to be on the same page with your choice.

If I can help, let me know.

Regards to all,

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Thanks guys. I am very excited to drive the car myself. I should have it around the middle of December and though the outside is going to look like crap hopefully that might change if I get the mustang sold I could work on my kit this December. So Excited and i think the transmission should work fine just going to lose a little gas mileage on the express way.

87ferrari

I have done a few of the 4.9 swps and they are really not as bad as many think. Armed with only the wiring diagrams and the help of the forums I was able to get mine done pretty fast. Stay with the PFI and do the wiring yourself. There is enough info on the subject now that you should be able to pull it off yourself. As far as the power options, the cruise is the easiest one as it bypasses the original Fiero cruise module and just hooks right up to the ECM and your cruise stalk. It was the easiest part of the swap. You have to get a little creative on things like brackets and such, but you will quickly learn that the U-pullit yards are your friend. I pulled all my swap stuff off other cars with the exception of the mounts, which I went for poly GM mounts instead of rubber. The oil cooler is out of a ex police car caprice and the fuel and oil lines are all Caddy. I chose to sty with the 4T60E which requires no mods to the trans or engine/starter, but I did have to slot the olf Fiero mount holes in the cradle to move it a little.

Get with Rockcrawl on your memcal chip, he does a fantastic job. The axles are the only thing that have seemed to be a challenge for most, but somewhere on Pennock's a few guys have it figured out with part numbers. That was where I got my info from.

Really this is a pretty simple swap, it just depends where you decide you are wanting to cut corners. Just read the forums until your eyes bleed and you will be there!

Good luck,
    87ferrari

I swapped a 4.9 from a 92 seville into my 87 Fiero a few years ago and the factory service manual for the year and make of the donor of the engine is an invaluable resource. While your at it get the GM factory service manual for the Fiero. You'll thank yourself in the end. I think it would be a lot more difficult without all of the wiring diagrams and info in the manual. They can be found on ebay all the time.
    Here's a link to my old car. There's some video with sound of the engine running. I mated it to the Fiero 5 speed. had to get a custom flywheel made though.
    http://www.geocities.com/gt40racer/gt40racer.html
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.