Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longitudinal transaxle

Longitudinal transaxle

OK here's the deal:
    New here - lotsa good info guys!
    Not new to kit cars - been building *all* kinds of customs (& restorations) for 30 years.
    I'm an artist: cars are my medium. Well most of the time I also build websites & do other "artsy" things...
    I'm currently gathering parts - on a tight budget - for a mid-engine LT1 powered VW Cabriolet.
    I was thinking of using Fiero running gear, & actually have the rear cradle sitting up under the body right now. However, there are some problems with this idea.
    #1 - The Fiero track is 3" wider than the Cab's. Not a big deal I can flare the fenders.
    #2 - The adaptor/flywheel/etc. costs are a little high.
    #3 - The struts are going to be impossible to fit within the confines of the VW 1/4 panels. I was thinking of building upper control arms, & using coilovers.
    #4 - I would really rather put the LT1 in longitudinally.

So my question is: what transaxle should I use that will bolt up to the LT1?* BTW it's a '95 LT1. Does anyone have measurements of available transaxles from center of axles to engine mounting flange - so that I can see what I have room for? Does anyone have a TA for sale. I want a manual; prefer low geared with overdrive 5th (or 6th?).
    I can build the cradle/rear suspension, & in fact will have alot more room to do so using the longitudinal transaxle.
    TIA for all the great advice I know I'm going to get!* ;D
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

Giggle Cream - it makes dessert *funny*!

My in-much-need-of-updating homepage: http://AngelOnEarth.net (pics of some of my cars are on the about me & parts for sale pages, as well as in the photo section, & here http://www.angelonearth.net/Cabrio/Cabrio.html & here http://AngelOnEarth.net/ZCar/ZCar.html .
    I also have modded pics of the way I'm thinking of building the mid-engine car - if I decide to paint it black - here http://AngelOnEarth.net/Cabrio/BlackCabriolet.html .

~ Paul<br />aka &quot;Tha Driver&quot;<br /><br />Giggle Cream - it makes dessert *funny*!

Re: Longitudinal transaxle

Paul, I'm glad to see ya here. I hope someone can help ya out.

Ron

mikeo

when trying to keep costs down, most of my Chevy customers (pre-LS1) are going with the 1988 Audi 5000 trans. They are supposed to be good to 300hp, and they are under $500. Kennedy makes the adapters for them. I have a pic on my site under the "photos" section.

Thanks Ron.
    Hey Mikeo; Audi? That's the last thing I would have thought of! I'm thinking 350 to 400hp, though. Would love a link to your site...*
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

Giggle Cream - it makes dessert *funny*!
    ~ Paul<br />aka &quot;Tha Driver&quot;<br /><br />Giggle Cream - it makes dessert *funny*!

If you desire more horse power (most of us do) and want to use the Audi 5-speed, it will be necessary to change the first gear in the transaxle. The weak spot in the Audi box is the gear. Fortunately, the Porsche 944 uses the same design as the Audi (but is configured without a bell housing, the 944 is in the rear and uses a torque tube) Regarding the first gear, it is about 1/4 inch thinner than those in the Porsche 944 Turbo. If you change that over and use some 930 drive shafts you should be good to go with the project. You could always get a Porsche 915 transaxle and flip the ring gear. But it will break your budget.

Have you considered using a drivetrain out of a Chrysler LHS. V6-Automatic?

Anyway, best of luck with the project. If you go the Audi route, take the Fiero cradle and section 4 or 6 inches out of the center line (what ever you need and still make it work) and weld it back together. It could save you some body work on fenders.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

mikeo

Whoops, sorry guys, here's my link :P..crank up the speakers and let her rip!!

www.chassisworksinc.com

FunnyWheels: Thanks for the info. I'll have to look around & see if I can find one of those. If I use the Audi I won't be using the Fiero cradle, or struts. I'll fabricate dual a-arms & use coil-overs.
    Mikeo: I tried your site, & got a page that says "Skip Intro". Now, I have Flasjh installed & it works fine for everything else (at least has in the past)... When I click on Skip Intro I get "You current security settings prohibit running activeX (etc.)". Does your page require ActiveX? If so, what about all the folks that aren't using I.E.?* I briefly checked your source code & I have no idea why it's not working (but your code is not very "pretty"), but I'll add that folks that depend too much on plug-ins to make a fancy website will loose customers.* * I.E. 5.5 on Windozw ME. Perhaps you can direct me to another page on your site.
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

flash is an activex control (a plugin for IE)
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

mikeo

HOLY COW!!! You lost me after you said "hey Mikeo" ;D I'm a computer moron, so I didn't understand a word you said....sorry

Hey AutoMX: Not true. How can I prove it? I just opened the site on Netscape V. 4.08 & it worked just fine. ActiveX only works in I.E, & Flash should run without it (in any browser).
    Mikeo: Tell your webmaster it's usless in I.E. (Internet Explorer) with ActiveX turned off. I don't how he's tied it to activeX, but Flash is a completely seperate plug-in that I believe should run in I.E. without ActiveX. Wait...OK now I know it will 'cause I just checked a webpage of mine that has Flash & it still works just fine. Once past the Flash intro (I pasted in the home.html address) I.E. works & looks good.
    Your nice looking menu dosen't work in Netscape 4.08, though (but there are text links instead so the site is at least functional in the older browser). Don't know why that would be 'cause it's simple graphics & therefore it should. I haven't checked that code. The code I'm refering to is the text document (with file extension ".html") that the browser reads to display your webpage. It's called "Hyper Text Markup Language" (thus "html").
    Very nice chassis BTW! Good looking website too once folks figure a way to get into it...
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"