Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kit (355) to buy?

What kit (355) to buy?

I know this has been brought up numerous times...but what is the best kit out there? I really like the 355 GTS kit coolcustomcars.com has to offer. I have finally decided to build a 355 GTS or Berlinetta. I want to get this thing as close to the original as possible. I have already acquired numerous misc. original 355 parts for this build and have been scouring the net looking for the most "exact" kit. I realize the actual "kit" doesn't make the car, its all in the fit &finish and workmanship. I have a reputation restoring the greatest poor man sports car EVER built, the E36 M3. I have a pretty strong BMW background and plan to utilize alot of bmw parts. Thats beside the point. I have an '87 Fiero chassis ready to strip. I could use some help there as well. according to coolcustomcars.com, you can modify the cradle without actually cutting the chassis to acheive the 3" stretch. Now, if you can't tell already, I am all about performance, and I'm not to sure about that method. This is a very long post, but I appreciate ANY insight you guys with this background can shed. THANKS GUYS!
    Darren

Re: What kit (355) to buy?

Welcome to the forum and the insanity as some say. Air Dynamics has the best body out there, I don't have his number but if you search for John Watson here on the forum you'll find it. Do a search for air dynamics (AD) while you're at it, you'll find a lot of good information here. You can stretch the cradle and I believe it is the recommended way. Good Luck with your build!.

Air Dynamics is the best way to go. I have one of his kits and my brother is buying another really soon. Here is a link to some picturs of my car. Thats what his kits look like out of the mold. Excellent.- Austin
    http://www.madmechanics.com/yabbse/i...p?topic=3806.0

Thanks for the info guys, the spyder looks great. Is mirage still around? I have read they are no longer producing kits. I've only found 2 reputable kit manufacturers, AD and coolcustomcars.com. Do you guys know if any porsche transaxle's (like the G50) or even the getrag 5 speed, will bolt up to a BMW 3.2 OBD II engine? I think the similarities in sound are excellent, plus I have a '97 supercharged M3 that gives a 550 maranello (my neighbor's car) a run for its money. plenty of other bragging rights, but thats a whole different story. Anyways, I am wanting SERIOUS performance. Has anyone ever used a BMW engine in a 355 replica?
    Darren

Personally I think you would be better off going with either the 3.4 DOHC (TDC) V-6 or 3800 Supercharged V-6.* The 3.4 sounds very much like the Ferrari.* Fieros with the 3800SC can get easily a 5 sec 0-60, pushed they can get much more.* I'm sure the BMW isn't as bad as a Ferrari engine when it breaks, but the GM motors are way cheaper to fix.* If you go with the BMW just expect to reinvent the wheel with your swap.* If you do the GM engines there are plenty of resources for teh swap.

Good point. So the cradle stretch is the best way to go then? How involved is that process? Any pointers for suspension? Weak points in the fiero chassis? Good advice? Time saving tips? This entire site is excellent, glad I stumbled across it. You guys are extremely helpful, and the input is greatly appreciated! thanks agian guys!
    Darren

The phone number for John Watson is 706-328-3311.

tell him Dave Newman gave the number to you.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Berlinetta, if you dont do the AD kit, then don't even do a kit.

His are the only ones even worth doing really.

Sounds like I may have hit a nerve on this one. From the pics I've seen, I think the AD kit is very well built. My only intentions with this topic is to see whats out there and compare. I still have not seen a completed AD kit, but the build pics are excellent. Great kit. Is AD also the supplier for the extended windshield? If so, does the kit include the hardware for the procedure? Thanks for the # Dave Newman, greatly appreciated. I think I'll give him a call. Thanks guys for the info, this forum is excellent!
    Darren

not a nerve at all...

It's like when a forum works to the point that everyone gets on the same page.

And about the only thing the enitre forum agrees on is that the AD is the best kit out there.

Ask any other questen and you start wars, but ask "which kit is best" and you'll get but one answer.