Thread: 3.8 swap need?

3.8 swap need?

I saw two 3.8 non SC engine with the car, I'm thinking swap that 3.8 auto in my F-50 kitcar, what do I need dose anyone have any info about this?

Re: 3.8 swap need?

HI all,

You would probably get a better response on the pennock fiero forum...
    Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

I do not know for sure but is there that much difference between the two to make it worth the swap? From what I have read the HP difference is not enough to change 1/4 mile times. I have seen were a turbo 2.8 will get you 0-6 in less than 6 seconds. I'm really considering this on my 87 GT after the V8 swap in my 355 I just donít think I have the hart for another rewire.

I have done a little bit of research as I was about to do the very thing to my car before I went with the 4.9 swap. In order to get the series two to work you are going to need to marry the two harnesses the fiero and 3.8. You could get this done by someone and it would run you around $700-$800 or you could attempt it yourself. You also need to get the 3.8 computer reprogrammed, this can range anywhere from about $200-$400. Then you have the mounting brackets that would need and I am sorry but I cannot remember those costs off the top of my head but you could go to West Coast Fiero and they have everything you need. Also look for there oil relocation for the 3.8. Now if I were doing it to my car I would also upgrade the radiator to a performance one, add, and oil cooler as well. There is a guy that does good work, as he is the one who did Pete's car (Modena) and he did a real top-notch job with it that is not too bad on pricing. If you need any info on the 4.9 swap as that is more of what I am researching at the moment then feel free to just shoot me a pm. There are a lot of guys that have done the swap and it is not to difficult just a little labor intensive from what I have heard. Hope that helps at least a little.

Check out this Pennock's link on the 3.8 (SC) swap. Darth Fiero is the man on these swaps.
    http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/055969.html

BTW, the wiring is not that difficult. I did mine, including VATS bypass, FWIW.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

I thought he was doing a non-SC 3.8

It's the same amount of work to do the SC engine as the NA 3800. If your going to go through all that trouble then go for the Supercharged engine. You'll be much happier in the long run. The cost isn't that much more.
    I'm doing the wiring now on my 3.4 TDC (DOHC) engine now and with the proper wiring diagrams it really is pretty easy as long as you can solder.
    How hard is it to get those GM engines in Taiwan?
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

3.8 SC can't find that here, 3.4 TDC yes, and few northstars, is not very easy to find the GM engines here in Taiwan, mre easy to get Japenese engines here.

The nice part about swapping in another GM engine is that most of the wire colors are the same. You could just about get away with just matching up colored wire to matching wire and it would be 90% correct. It's that other 10% that requires some homework.
    Since the 3800SC isn't an option I think if you had a choice between the 3800 NA and the 3.4 TDC you're better off with the 3.4 TDC. It's a higher reving engine that's fit's the personality of a Ferrari and makes more power than the 3800 NA.
    It really sounds awesome when it's wound out. The block is similar to the 2.8 since it's also a 60 degree V-6, same engine family believe it or not, so the mounts are pretty simple. West Coast Fiero sells the front mounts, the rear uses the stock Fiero. If you go that route I could give you wire for wire instructions on the electrical part of the swap.
    Check out these links.

http://www.dohcfiero.com/
    http://dtcc.cz28.com/fiero/index.htm
    http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/055634.html
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

Darthfiero on PFF is the pro at this swap, trust me dj_golden!!!!!!
    I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.