Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hood vents

hood vents

Has anyone vented there 355 hood like a lot of Fiero owner do? This makes the Fiero look a lot better and helps with cooling. I was thinking about sanding my hood back down and form some twin-inverted vents at the front of it. I suck at photo shop maybe someone will do this and post it so I can see what it would look like.

Re: hood vents

It might look cool but it would be a dead giveaway if you are going for authenticity since there is no radiator in the front of a real 355.
    http://www.fiero-performance.com/misc/songman355a.gif      Fiero-Performance.com      [url=http://www.fiero-performance.com/coastrun/]2nd Annual California Coast Run[/url

how could hood vents help with cooling a rear engine car?

Wouldnt the door scoops be more of a logical choice to use for engine cooling?

Damn just when I think I'm learning something I get perplexed again

Radiators are in the front of Fieros and behind the door vents on Ferraris...

On a Fiero, the air goes through the front mounted radiator and then has nowhere to exit. That is why people have trouble with their headlights coming up at speed. The air needs to go somewhere. Installing hood vents gives the air somewhere to go thereby allowing air to flow more freely through the radiator.
    http://www.fiero-performance.com/misc/songman355a.gif      Fiero-Performance.com      [url=http://www.fiero-performance.com/coastrun/]2nd Annual California Coast Run[/url

Many people will put in a stock Fiero radiator without a plan on how to vent it to get cool air to run through the radiator. I have experienced success by building a tunnel in front of the radiator and used a strong (non-Fiero) puller fan mounted to the back of the radiator.

Venting of the expelled air flow should be routed out of the car into the fender well and underbelly area to exit the car. The partially expelled air flow can create lift if not vented properly but I didn't notice it until over 125 MPH. The nose (steering) will get a little light.

I plan to vent expelled radiator air flow out between the windshield and the trailing edge of the hood in addition to the fender well area. My fresh air intake for the AC/Heater etc. will be handled through the OEM Ferrari hood vent location and will not be affected by the hot expelled air flow out of the radiator.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Funnywheels,
    what sort of ducting is required for the hood vent to fresh air intake? pictures! more pictures! Keep up the good work!
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

I'm thinking of making a mold of my hood and make an extra hood to play with. Pete songman hit it on the nail with the use of the vents in the hood and some super cars actually have them. Heck my cars a fake anyway so if it works and looks good why not I wish more people would customize there real 355s it would be more fun to build something different than the same ol stock car. Well I guess you all can tell I'm getting board with the build again.

Here are a few examples of what I am referring to with regard to ducting of the radiator. When the radiator is open on the sides the air flow will choose the path of least resistance. (not go through the radiator core but off the sides of the radiator) reducing the cooling efficiencies making you car run ho when in traffic and sometimes while on the freeways as well.

It will not work like this.

Here is a photo of FunnyWheels One showing the top of the air tunnel. The bottom and sides in front of the radiator are also enclosed.