Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: F355????

F355????

Just like to apologise ahead of time for the long post.

How can you get the nice ferrari engine sound? If I were to biuld a ferrari replica I want the famous ferrari sound. I dont have 100's of thousands to spend on a real ferrari engine or i would just go out and buy a real ferrari. Keeping this in mind, is there any engines out there that can be modded to sound like a ferrari one? Oviously the oem exhaust will help, but only a bit. The only thing holding me back from starting this project is the engine. What is it that makes the sound in the ferrari engines that other car engines dont have? Another question i have is for the older ferrari's, i have seen some for 19 000. Do the engine's back then sound the same as they do today? What i'm getting at is could I get one of those old 1982 ferrari engines and put the 355 oem exhaust on and will i get the sound I desire? How reliable would thses engines be? Aswell 19 000 is still a bit steep for me. Are there any other solutions for me? As i said this is the only thing holding me back and i would really like to resolve this problem and get going! ;D Thank you for help.
    Sorry again for long post.

Re: F355????

Use a DOHC 3.4 and a Tubi, that should get you close.

The 3.4L DOHC V-6 will give you one of the most authentic sounds.* Mainly because they rev high, that's what makes it sound like a Ferrari.* The real 355 redlines @ 8500 RPM.* The 3.4L DOHC V-6 is the highest revving motor GM makes @ 7500 RPM.* So your not really going to get an exact sound but it's the closest affordable engine for a replica.*

Or if your really up for a challeng.......mount two sportbike engines lenghtwise......you could get high revs that way. : ;D

Quote Originally Posted by sactodreamer
    Or if your really up for a challeng.......mount two sportbike engines lenghtwise......you could get high revs that way. : ;D
    My kawasaki ninja redlines at 14,750rpm but I have taken it to 16,500. If I put two of them next to each other I could have the most wicked sounding V8, even if it would only be a 1.2L.
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

could that really be done? put two sport bike engine's together? how would u bolt on the trans? would you need to modify the clutch? could you put a oem 355 exhaust on it? This sounds like a sweet idea and i am up for the chalenge, but i would like to get some of the Q's worked out before i go ahead with it.

I don't know how much two sport bike engines would help you much when your car ways 3000+ lbs...

LOL! Anything can be done with enough $$$ But like ARI said torque would/could be an issue. But, imagine the sound of two engines @ 14,500 RPM (29,000 RPMs!!!! WOOO HOOO!!) ;D

ah yes your right torque will probably be a big issuse considering even the most powerful sport bike engines are only powering 300lbs bikes. a 3000+ car could be a slight problem. Anyone with a good solution?

The Ferrari sound is from the 180 degree crankshaft in the engine.* Most V6 and V8's use the 90 degree and will not produce the sound you desire. It is very expensive to change a V8 to the crankshaft firing order you desire and more than likely you will not choose that route.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Dave is absolutely right. The crank and firing order on 99.9% of all vehicles out there is setup on 90 degree opposition to the next firing piston. Select Ferraris, some sport bikes, and Fomula 1 racers have this 180 spread which gives it that, oh so, desired sound.

I'm not even sure that a standard 90 degree V8 could be altered in such a manor. The cam grind, crank, and distrubutor timing would all have to be totally re-engineered. Not to mention the mundane details like oil pump and water jackets in the block.
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions