Thread: 3.4 DOHC price

3.4 DOHC price

Is $200 a good price for a 3.4L DOHC motor with 154K miles on it. Comes with all accesories and runs good. I'd still have to pay for shipping from NC, probably around $200-$250, that would probably not make it worth it huh. :-\

Re: 3.4 DOHC price

The price isn't too bad. The DOHC/TDC are not cheap engines. It's a gamble with that many miles on it though. Chances are that it was not properly maintained. It will need the timing belt changed for sure. The alternator and AC compressor will probably be shot as well. If you have a budget for a rebuild then it would be worth it. I think $700 for a lower mileage engine would be worth it. You might be better off trying to buy whole car that's been wrecked. It's getting harder and harder to find these engines though. I have a 97 TDC engine and just bought an intake gasket set for $89.00. The 95 gaskets are $29.00.
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

Ron, I had an engine shipped out here from Maryland and it cost me $700 just to ship it! For an engine with that many miles and the fact that you don't know it's history... PLUS shipping charges.... I'd find something closer to home. I found a complete Grand Prix a few months ago in a U-Pull yard here and they only wanted $350 for the 3.4TDC...
    http://www.fiero-performance.com/misc/songman355a.gif      Fiero-Performance.com      [url=http://www.fiero-performance.com/coastrun/]2nd Annual California Coast Run[/url

I agree with songman, I bought a 97 Monte Carlo Wrecked with only 58K on the engine and I paid $775 for the whole car. I got the engine all assories and tranny. I think you can do better. Good luck.

Hey bro,your quite a ways North of me.You can do much better than that.You can get an engine at the wrecking yard and have them pull it and delivered.Go on half off day and save a bundle (low,low mileage sometimes,I belive it's Ecology that has the half off day,give them a call and ask).Also National Engine Supply in Chula Vista (san Diego area)sells remanufacturered engines for about $400 (but you would need a engine core to exchange).Price depends if you want a long block or short block.The engine block I baught (for a diffrent car)didnt have a speck of grease on it when I baught it,pistons looked like they were brand new.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

I do not know if it helps or not, but on Craig's list Bay Area there is a 91 Z34 for sale for $1400 in Oakland. The states that it is running and smogged. I idea of pulling you own motor from a running car is a good one. At least you know that it runs and all of the parts are there.

ShaneW

You know, I have looked around for for a 3.4 DOHC, I can't find one anywhere. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, if anyone has an idea of where I might be able to locate one (resonable) please let me know. I guess these engines are less common here?

These engines were in a few different cars. The GM designation for the engine is the LQ1 and they were installed in "W" body cars.*
    Lumina LS, Monte Carlo Z34, Buick Regal, Grand PrixSTE/GTP, Olds Cutlass Supreme
    (First generation 3.4, 1991 to 1993)
    Generation 1.5, 1994-1995
    Generation 2 1996-1997

Saw this post over at Pennocks if your still looking for an engine.

"ricksmastermix

11-05-2004 07:58 PM

Also, I'm selling two of my used 3.4 dohc's. If anyone is interested. "One from a '93 Lumina, ~45K mi. and one from a '95 Cutlass, milage unknown. Both engines have good compression, oil pressure and run smooth."

OK, I have found a 3800 supercharged, a 1998 version. 0 miles, it was a GM donated engine to a "local" tech school. They are asking $3,000.00 CAD, this includes the injectors, rails, supercharger, blah, blah, blah. It does not include, wiring harness, computer, transmission, or various accessories. Seems a little steep to me.

I guess I should keep on my quest for a 3.4 DOHC (96+), 3800 SC (SeriesII), or an LT1 (TPI). I can find LT1s at a very resonable price, still a little unsure of the reliability of the Pontiac 5 speed with shifts at 7,000 plus with this size of motor.

Anyone experienced tranny failure with Big HP (around 500 @ 6,500+) V-8's? As you all know, torque is the thing that breaks stuff, you can't have big HP with out big TQ it is all where it occurs in the power band, I am just wondering if I have a "usable" power band between 3500-7500 RPM, this will very much drop the off idle TQ (1500-3000 RPM). Being a "light" weight car it shouldn't miss th bottom end too much.

Input appreciated.