Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to look for when having your car painted

What to look for when having your car painted

Hey, haven't found the answer so I'm sending out a general "help."

I am clueless about car paint but I know enough to know that I want my car painted by a pro. Basically, what kind of package should I be looking for when I go to these guys? What steps/procedures should I look for?

I know that I want the current paint stripped off down to the body, but what steps should I make sure I have done to get the best paint job possible? Should I have the body sanded down, any kinds of pre-paint procedures and coatings... What should I have done to it after it's painted, any sealants, clear coats, etc.

Plus, I'm going to be going with Ferrari Rosso Red--how many coats should I get??

Thanks,

Rams Ruul

Re: What to look for when having your car painted

Be prepaired, a Pro paint job costs on average $2,500 on up to $5,000.Ask how long the painter has worked with the company,also ask to see a cars thats been painted by them.If possible get the car painted on sale and save your self $250 To $500,unless you got money to burn.Prior to painting the car you will have your choice of colors, along with any extras you may want such as Pearl or metal flake (metal flake also comes in diffrent sizes).You will also want the clear coat.UV protection.A had my car painted a nice Viper Red and looks exactely like the Ferrari Rosso Red,nice choice.I chose an enamel based paint because it's thicker 1 coat looks like 2.

The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

The Paint code is M322 and is found on 355 Ferraris 1996 up. It is a little brighter than the previous red used on other years.

Bondo Bob might be able to chime in on this one for you.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I take it that your car is already painted because you mensioned about striping the old paint off.If this is true,is this the origanal paint on a non kitcar?Or is this your kit that someone did a bad paint job on?I will need to know what you have before I can give you any advice.

Bondo Bob:

What should I use to attach the header to the steel where I cut the top off to make a Spider? I remember you talking about some kind of epoxy at one time but I don't remember the brand name you said I should get.

Can you help with that information?

Do you think you could paint the windshield frame in my garage with my compressor etc? I will bring the hood down to you but I hate to install the windshield before I get the surround painted.

Dave

Bondo Bob, I hate to steal a thread but I sent you out a check....be on the look out...

aconcepts

ask them to show you there paint room and there booth and inspect the filters in there booth
    if they are real dirty i would think twise about them .here is a picture of are room for mixing

and it is kinda clean .Also ask to see there peal setup maybe you

might like some custom color
    also just they said already be shure to check them out and ask to see jobs that they have done
    and make shure the guy that you ask to do it is the one doing the paint job .And if you wanted to get
    your car ready for paint on your own that might be better on price .prep work is a long prosess for body work .
    sand down the paint with a da and the grid the level down by use lighter sand paper grit go all the way to40 - 1000 grit
    and the spray a guide coat red or black then color sand (wet sand with a bock tool .

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyWheels
    Bondo Bob:

What should I use to attach the header to the steel where I cut the top off to make a Spider?* I remember you talking about some kind of epoxy at one time but I don't remember the brand name you said I should get.

Can you help with that information?

Do you think you could paint the windshield frame in my garage with my compressor etc?* I will bring the hood down to you but I hate to install the windshield before I get the surround painted.

Dave
    Dave,you could use 3M pannel bond,sold at any bodyshop supply store.Just make sure that both bonding surfices have been grinded to make a clean bond. And yes,I could go to your house to spray your parts.How does next weekend sound?

Quote Originally Posted by BondoBob
    I take it that your car is already painted because you mensioned about striping the old paint off.If this is true,is this the origanal paint on a non kitcar?Or is this your kit that someone did a bad paint job on?I will need to know what you have before I can give you any advice.
    I've got a (genuine) Mera with original--as far as I know--red paint. I've got a number of nicks and scratchs in the front, on the hood, on the sides, etc.--nothing hideous or that bad, but I'm thinking that I'd like to go ahead and repaint to make the car look even sweeter.

* * *Dave,you could use 3M pannel bond,sold at any bodyshop supply store.Just make sure that both bonding surfices have been ground to make a clean bond. And yes,I could go to your house to spray your parts.How does next weekend sound?
    I will not be ready to do it next weekend. It is the Florida/Florida State Game and I will be in Tallahassee for the weekend. Maybe the weekend after Thanksgiving?

I hear Jim Cleary is putting a new engine in your car. What happened to the old one? Did you get the Mirage finished yet?

Dave