Thread: Engine cradle mounting

Engine cradle mounting

I am finalizing the engine cradle mounting and stretch and have a question for everyone.

I have an '85 frame and have bought new rubber mounting pieces but have not put them in yet.

I heard that the '88 cradles were hard mounted so it gives better structural rigidity to the rear end.

I was thinking of welding a tube and metal filling into the front mounting setup rather than putting the rubber bushings back in. I also heard people have had aluminum sleeves machined and put in rather than the rubber ones. I want to just weld in plates and tubes to make things simpler overall.

Any thoughts on whether that would be a good idea or not.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Re: Engine cradle mounting

I made my own poly bushings using machineable stock on a small lathe. Much harder than regular poly, not as hard as aluminum. But I also have a torque beast to tame.

I welded in a short piece of pipe and two big washers on mine. It replaced the rubber bushing, the pipe kept the washers from crushing into the cradle.

I think the biggest challenge for you will be in the shock area. The shock tower are different on the 88. Best go look one over before any serious modifications in that area.

The rear of the cradle is where the sloppy stuff is removed. The 88 mounts differently in this area getting rid of those bug donuts.

Good move all around, better suspension, brakes etc.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I searched out on Pennock's forum last night to get a better look at how the 88 engine cradle mounts to the frame and, like what FunnyWheels did, there is a tube welded through the front cradle arms and at the rear, where the rubber donuts ussualy are, is a taller metal plate set up with a hole in the middle.

This is what I will be doing on my '85 cradle to remove as much slop as I can. It will also allow me to raise the front portion up a bit as the main cradle portion is no longer parrallel to the ground since I added the 3" into the front cradle pieces.

Between the plates I am going to have connecting the frame reinforcement I am putting in to the engine cradle, and the new mounting of the cradle overall, I will have a very strong box to help remove flex.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV