Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 512 qtr windows

512 qtr windows

look at the black area behind the door glass,does anybody know of any good sites that show how to cut out that area and put in a real piece of glass ,i cant find any.ive never done it and i dont want to mess with the structral integrity of the car,ive seperated the rockers by cutting off the fiero rocker skin and welding in 1x3 and run the 1x3 up to the upper frame rail in the back just forward of the strut tower.the rocker is off in this pic ,should i use black or red on it .oh well i cant get the pic to upload,ive tried 4 times,does anybody know if the upload feature is working?

Re: 512 qtr windows

maybe it works now

Real quarter glass has a twist in it to match the body lines. I believe that most of the older IFG kits that actually used real glass (and didn't black out a section where the rear glass frame meets) used door glass from older Mustang. Pretty much any door glass that has a slight bow can be matched up and cut out for the proper shape... yes, this is a real pain! Relocating the back glass or cutting it and making a frame (or using a real TR rear window) will yield the best look.

do you know anyone that can cut tempered glass,ive never seen a door or qtr. glass that wasnt tempered,ive tried and could never do it

you definitely cannot cut tempered glass
    http://www.taraglass.com

i tried to about 15 years ago

sand.. scour.. water jet.. No such luck with tempered glass! I've tried all of the above with, no dice! If anyone can pull this off, make a video.. I'll buy it Glass is cut, sanded, shaped and then tempered.
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by EEExotic
    sand.. scour.. water jet.. No such luck with tempered glass! I've tried all of the above with, no dice! If anyone can pull this off, make a video.. I'll buy it * Glass is cut, sanded, shaped and then tempered.
    that is correct , but if you need curved tempered glass to specifics, that is a whole new ball game
    http://www.taraglass.com

ok weve definitely determined that tempered glasss cant be cut,i guess noone knows of any sites that can show me how to cut out this area.does anybody have any tips or anything for cutting out this area,im afraid if i cut wrong the car wiil fold up,and the car is very hard to drive ,that is a real bad blind spot

Mike: I have done what you are speaking of. A little hard to explain it all here, but it wasn't that hard. I used 1 inch mild square tubing to build a frame around the window, doubling it up at the front [behind the pillar, at rear of side glass. Than cut out the Fiero structure.
    What glass to use? no problem..... 78-79 Coupe de Ville quarter glass. It is a little tall so you have to drop it down behind the body. I made a ledge from angle iron for it to rest on and will be mounting it with urethane.
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !