Thread: 4wd/awd transfer case idea

4wd/awd transfer case idea

i was watching Junkyard Wars and they gave me an idea for a cheap alternative to the whole Audi tranny and adaptor plate problem. to turn a RWD car into a rear engined rwd car, they rigged a transfer case from a 4wd car/truck in the middle of the driveshaft (and if needed, flipped the differetial over) and the car popped wheelies like crazy.

perhaps a bit crude, but for $100 or less at a junkyard, it could be worthwhile for many. this means that most RWD drivetrains could be used inexpensively in a fiero or whatever else, as well as being very flexible in the positioning of the axles to fit the wheel wells. i could see v8 mustangs with a few mods being great inexpensive donors, but also many previously difficult japanese options like the 300zx, 3000gt, various lexus, etc..

how do those transfer cases deal with torque? i would imagine they can take loads with v8 trucks and such

comments? ???
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Re: 4wd/awd transfer case idea

I didn't want to completely let the cat out of the bag but since you brought it up....

I am using a ford 5.0L V8 out of a mustang, and worked in a transfer case from a toyota pickup truck in order to position the axles correctly in my 3" stretch chassis with longitudinally mounted V8. It is not quite worked out but I used this setup so My engine is more centrally located in my chassis than when I was using the TH325 tranny alone. This will give me better weight transfer than the rear overhanging setup I had before.

Due to financial strain, it has slowed down to a snails pace so I can post pics when I make ground breaking progress. Right now my tubular engine cradle is just a pile of cut up tubes.
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

will you be able to drive it down the John's BBQ next year? Keep us posted on the progress.
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

I plan to have my car there at the BBQ with at least a rolling chassis and the body roughed in but no where near finished. I am still adapting my OEM ferrari intakes,airboxes, and air meter to work on my ford engine. After that I plan to link together my fuel injected(computer controlled) ford V8 to my electronic controlled Buick tranny and my OEM ferrari center console and interior controls to my fiero chassis controls(wipers, turn signals, headlights). So as you can imagine, I will have my work cut out for me. Not to mention my 3" stretch, 2" door shortening, windshield extending procedures onto my t-top donor car which I plan to make a 355 GTS targa roof by cutting out the t-top center bar and retro fitting the t-top hardware to a solid roof center section.

I know that was a mouth full, but it helps me justify why my car is not getting done in a hurry

I bet it's going to be awesome when it's finished. I plan on driving mine down there finished or not. Probably won't have the interior completed, depends on how many times get sent out on the road with my job.
    Oh yeh, I was wondering how your going to have a reverse gear with just a transfer case. For that matter what about any gears. I thought a 4x4 transfer case is basically a high or low gear.

Quote Originally Posted by FerrariFan
    I was wondering how your going to have a reverse gear with just a transfer case. For that matter what about any gears. I thought a 4x4 transfer case is basically a high or low gear.
    I have the Toyota transfer case mated to a buick transmission. The transfer case is simply reversing the final rotation because I have my motor and tranny in a reverse orientation. Without the transfer case I would have 4 speeds inreverse and one in forward and the tranny output shaft would be rotating in reverse which is very weak. I hope to have the incompleted car at least rolling so I can show it off at the BBQ. It is very difficult to explain my setup, but once you see it you will ask yourself why nobody else has done this before to get a longitudinaly mounted V8 in a stock fiero.

Cool, Can't wait!