Thread: AD 355 radiator to hood clearance questions

AD 355 radiator to hood clearance questions

I've read that the radiator doesn't need to be moved when installing the AD355 kit but I'm in the process of installing my body now and the inner hood does indeed contact the radiator before coming fully closed. This caused the hood to flex slightly and it wont lay down flush. How did you guys get around this? Anyone have pics of the required radiator support modification? I thought I'd ask before I get the sawzall fired up!
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

Re: AD 355 radiator to hood clearance questions

I had the same problem.. I'm not building an AD kit yet but the same applies. When I extended the front frame rails I built in a cross member to lay or tip the radiator forward. Also added an extention to the lower rad support. I then sheeted it in brushed alum to finish it off. check the link. http://www.madmechanics.com/yabbse/i...p?topic=3518.0
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Yes you do have to cut the brackets and change the angle just a little , you will then need to make a bracket to hold it in place.I used a cut off tool , John Watson told me to be careful and not nip the A/c tube or the radiator itself. and of course I did cut through the A/c tube, so go slow and be careful. I worked on the hood of my AD about two months befor I broke down and called JW. But this did solve the problem. GOOD LUCK

I figured out the problem. I didn't realize when I hung the bumper/hinge support that it mounts on slotted holes. I just had to loosen up the nuts and pull the support up as far as it will go. that helped give me the clearance I needed for the inner hood liner. The second problem was that the outer hood would not lay down flat enough on the inner hood and stuck up above the fenders and bumper. I needed to grind down some of the high spots on the inner hood so the outer hood would lay flat. I need to get my camera out and take some pics!

Please take some pictures!! Im getting ready to build an AD kit and im trying to figure out as many of the issues im going to run across before i get there. Thanks in advance!

I haven't been too good at taking pictures yet because my progress has been pretty slow so far. But now that it's starting to come together I need to get the digital camera out.

You can simply move the bottom bracket to the rear about 2 inches and the top bracket to the front of the car 2 inches. It will angle the radiator a little more, then re-drill the holes in the frame and use the same bolts to mount it back in place. You actually only move the holes about an inch. Same hoses, fan, trans and AC lines, etc. You need about an inch clearance to keep the hood from warping from the heat the radiator will produce.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Good idea. I may yet do that. With the hood in the proper position I can just barely slide a popsicle stick between the hood and radiator support.