Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just thinking

Just thinking

I think this would be a really cool idea.
    Would it be possible to wire a

GPS
    auto door lifters
    sound system
    engine start
    alarm system
    and w/e other cool things you can think of

all into a car

but then somehow control everything
    by a cell phone
    or more practical a Palm Pilot?

Just imagine whipping out a cell phone or palm and turning on ur car, stereo
    opening your doors, control your alarm, check out the GPS 8) 8) 8)
    I have no idea how one would do this but if anyone finds out i'm sure
    you would have some customers. me included. ;D

Re: Just thinking

First off... I have no solid clue as to whether it is or isn't possible..... BUT..... if you had a bluetooth laptop controlling the car's functions somehow, and you could get a bluetooth PDA. It sounds like the laptop would have to be connected to each function and somehow be able to switch on and off each function that it was hooked up to... similar to how the car alarms do with the transmitters. I'd have NO idea how to even begin to set one up though.

I'd check out some of the higher end car alarms. Some of them offer several "auxiliary" options to roll down the windows, turn on ignition, and what not. If you find one with enough options... that would be the cheapest route... I think. I know some Lambo kits don't have lock/unlock options... just "pull to open" so the lock/unlock buttons can be used for opening the doors and something else. Auto start is sometimes already an option... so is lights on and rolling down windows. Some of the new transmitters have graphic displays and may be able to handle multiple functions. Not as cool as whipping out a cell to start the car.... but still will drop some jaws.

But hooking them up so a Palm or cell would control them...... not sure.

Yes, it can be done. also you could install a camera in the cab and be able to view what's is gone on inside from an internet connection. They have mini pc's similiar to IPAC's now that can go into your car and control everything. As for what you had mentioned a standerd Alphine with pop up screen will do everything that you described. But the price tag you are looking at is about $4,000.00- $5,000.00 installed.

you could just get an alarm system with door poppers that comes with the remote pager (lets you pop doors, arm and disarm alarm, and lets you know if anyone triggers the alarm or proximity radar if you install that). if you wanted to put in a camera, there's wireless pinhole cams on ebay for cheap and portable receivers too, but this means anyone can pick up the signal. thats the downside: if someone with a radio scanner picks up the door popper code, you can kiss your car goodbye. i'm a gadget wizard type guy with 4 computers and a tablet with voice recognition, GPS, wireless internet via cell phone, and a nice 12" touchscreen. cool stuff, but i would never trust my car with it. that alarm pager is a real good idea though .
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

If you wait I should be getting my car in the very beginning of the week. Around Monday or so and I have the door poppers, remote start, remote window roll down, trunk popper, and car alarm with the disable function. I am also a tech geek and there has been some thought in my head about putting a computer in my car or a carputer as it is called. This would allow you to be able to have the ability to have all the functions you have on your desktop but controlled by a touch screen monitor. Sadly though this project is going to have to be on hold untill I get the kit on the car and everything finished. Can't wait to see the car!!!

there's got to be a smark geek out there who
    will hook a palm up to do all that stuff. Its just the matter
    of finding a geek enough one to know how.
    I was thinking along the lines of bluetooth as well.

It is alredy done. The software is called Nevo. It is primarily for the IPAC but it will work with the Palm III C OR NEWER.

Oh I forgot to mention you could also have your house wired as well with that software.

i went to the website and only looks like it works
    for the home theater. Is it possible to make it work
    for the things i described in a car?

To anwser my own question
    i e-mailed the tec guy for the company
    this is what he said:

Hello,

Most of the functions you are trying to control operate on RF(Radio Frequency).
    Some of the other functions you mention operate on battery power and
    not remotely. Nevo is only capable of operating IR (Infrared) devices,
    so the functions you want Nevo to control will not be possible.