Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom/Tube engine cradle

Custom/Tube engine cradle

Anyone know of any companies or people out there that produce custom engine cradles for 355 kits? It would be nice if there was a cradle you could bolt on with maybe a little fabrication, that would give you the 3" stretch, solve the bump steer issue and handling close to that of the real deal. I saw superstangs setup when I was thumbing thru the search, very nice. Any insight?
    Darren

Re: Custom/Tube engine cradle

It is definately a one of a kind, but it is now about 6 months and $5000 in the works. Between using different transmissions and differentials out of 4X4 trucks to get it setup right, it is becoming very expensive. Not to mention I made my OEM Ferrari induction system fully functional!!

I have to have a custom mini starter for clearance as well as a remote mounted electric water pump, and a magneto style distributor because there is no room for a belt system for my accessories.
    Very unique,but at an extreme cost to say you are the first to put a longitudinally mounted V8 in a 3" stretch car.

I know everybody wants a setup like this, but with the effort and money needed to make this happen, I really dont see anybody else attempting to copy this.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    5 out of 4 people are not good at fractions

Sorry, I have to post the images one at a time because they are too large.

OEM ferrari 355 induction that is functional over my ford V8

Looks GREAT! after hearing your experience, I think I will stick to the basics for this build
    Darren

that is nice

Looks great Stang. But, what Bob did not mention, is that Dave Held makes the custom rear cradles. Sorry, don't have his page handy...
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Dave Held makes engine cradles with small block chevy and Porsche or Audi 5000 transmission setups. They are availible in 7" or 11" stretch mainly for lambo kits.

My cradle was/is still a first of it's kind that is not even done yet. It was his first 3" stretch cradle and the first time he dealt with the TH325-4L transaxle.* It has proved to be too difficult to construct that a lot of the fabrication will be left up to me. I really dont see Dave constructing any more of this style due to the complexity and enormous effort involved.

I believe Dave's webpage is www.specificmotors.com

http://specificmotors.com/home.html

This is his informative webpage

Quote Originally Posted by superstang460
    Dave Held makes engine cradles with small block chevy and Porsche or Audi 5000 transmission setups. They are availible in 7" or 11" stretch mainly for lambo kits.

My cradle was/is still a first of it's kind that is not even done yet. It was his first 3" stretch cradle and the first time he dealt with the TH325-4L transaxle.* It has proved to be too difficult to construct that a lot of the fabrication will be left up to me. I really dont see Dave constructing any more of this style due to the complexity and enormous effort involved.
    I spoke with Dave Held about this and he does offer more than I stated for cradles. He has jigs to construct 3" 4" 5" 7" or 11" cradles and has many engine/tranny options availible with narrow or wide track widths.
    My cradle was the first 3" stretch, narrow track cradle, with the huge GM TH325-4L transmission. We are both still exchanging technical opinions and going throught the "trial and error" stages of the build setup, but are both confident that this will be one hot setup. The only reason this is proving to be difficult is because it is a first of it's kind. Once we figure it out the next cradle would go together easy.
    The only reason the build is costing so much is because I am mating a Ford motor to a GM tranny and things like adapter plates and custom starters and headers are needed. It is not the cradle itself that is expensive, it is my unique setup.
    In fact, Dave and I have exchanged literally hundreds of emails and dozens of lengthy phone calls to work this cradle out long before he recieved a single dime from me. Dave is always emailing me internet links for parts that may work better for us so I know he is constantly working on or thinking about my cradle. Not to mention, he cut up a perfectly good 11" cradle when I sent him my motor and tranny just to see what way they would fit best.
    I just wanted to clear those few things up, because after reading my previous post it made it sound like the cradle was too expensive and couldn't be finished, which is entirely not the case. Dave and I are both enthuised about seeing this completed in the near future. We will keep you all updated once we get some further progress.