Thread: *Almost* Finally at that point

*Almost* Finally at that point

Well 2 years later im almost at the point that the fiero chassis is how I like it and im thinking of putting the body on...or am I? so I got a few questions...

(BTW I have a 1 peice door kit .. donno the name ha ha )

1) the side markers and tail lights...Should I not put these in before i put the body on? just in case i have to do some crazy things for this to fit?

2) where do I start to put the body on? the middle? front?

also making hinges for the hood and trunk...any ideas on that?

thanks guys

Brad

Re: *Almost* Finally at that point

nobody has answers!!?!?
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by KillerX
    Well 2 years later im almost at the point that the fiero chassis is how I like it and im thinking of putting the body on...or am I? so I got a few questions...

(BTW I have a 1 peice door kit .. donno the name ha ha )

1) the side markers and tail lights...Should I not put these in before i put the body on? just in case i have to do some crazy things for this to fit?

2) where do I start to put the body on? the middle? front?

also making hinges for the hood and trunk...any ideas on that?

thanks guys

Brad
    Brad
    It is difficult to say anything without pictures. I would think it would be easier to modify the panels while off the car as far as hinges go My kit came with them for the engine cover and uses the Fiero hood ones.

i really dont know what kind of replica your building,you dont say in your post,im assuming a 355.if the chassis is lengthened or not you dont say rthat either.the most important part to me personally,is that the body is perfectly symmertrical.that means that both sides are just alike,the wheels ae in the middle of the holes,the hood hole is square,stuff like that.what i would do is loosely mount the doors and block up the rear and ft. clips and try to get the body lines to line up symmetrically,[the wheels in the middle of the openings],as closely as i could,you should find a point where every thing looks acceptable or the best it will fit.if its a poorly made set of panels ,this will be a frustrating process,i bought a bad kit years ago,and it just about drove me crazy,and ive been a bodyman for over 20 years.once i got everything blocked and screwed in place at the best point the stuff is going to fit,i would do a lot of measuring[just pick several point on each side of the car,the styleline from front to rear,maybethe forward edge of the rear wheelhouse to the rear edge of the front wheelhouse] what im trying to say is make sure both sides are symmetrical.at this point if measurements are way differernt you will have to start cutting and making them symmetrical.im not real good at explaining things so if you have any trouble understanding let me know and i will try to make it clearer.if your building a 355,most of those except the air dynamics ,are not very well made,but i dont know that for sure ,ive never even built a 355,but ive built sevral 512s.the main thing i would shoot for first is ,if i was building a 355 is make sure the style line in the middle of the car is lined up in a line and the wheels are in the middle of the holes.i wouldnt even think about finishing items like taillights,side markers,door handles,etc.i live just inside ga. in the chatt. tn. area if you live close id come and help you,if theres anyway i could or id travel if your intrested,ive recently became single.or if you will mount the doors and block up the clips and put some good pics on here ,ill try to help you in any way i can.

LOL sorry guys its the 355 and its the connected door peice one. the chassis is streached also.

mike d. wow thank you soo much for the help! I will agree with you its not a AD kit and its NOT well made, I will have to fiberglass alot of the iner panels (can see light through them so I know there not thick) I purchased this kit for a very low price as well as the car so thats why Im *hoping* I can keep it... what your talking about with making sure its symmetrical is totally true! I am deff going to do that first becuase if the car is not straight why bother putting the lights, other stuff on?

I can post pics up after I get the pieces out from under the porch (there hybranating under there till winter is over lol) I know its taking me 2 years just for the body and I know im not going to have it done by this summer but good things take time and im willing to wait that time for a good looking car.
    Brad