Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo 3800 Series II

Turbo 3800 Series II

I am putting a turbo on my 1999 Buick, 3800 Series II engine. I am looking for anyone who has completed this performance upgrade. *So far I have removed all of my trunk area for the installation in my 355 rebody. *The 3800 exhaust header exits facing the rear in the area of the trunk. *The space is where I am going to mount the turbocharger, intercooler (above near the surface of the rear deck lid), muffler and air intake (directed from 355 intakes on each side of the rear quarter glass). *Proper care management of hot and cool air is handled. *Need to know how much boost the 3800 will take before it reaches any critical failure of parts. *If my figures are correct, the engine with 8 lbs of boost will make about 325 HP (1.83 HP per cubic inch). *My challenges are in the computer area with regard to timing, advance and fuel metering. *This set up will make more horsepower than the 3800 supercharged version due to the drag the supercharger puts on the engine to make the horses.

Open to suggestions.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Re: Turbo 3800 Series II

http://www.fierox.com/

This guy has done a lot of work on his 3800 SC. His best quarter so far is 11.633 @ 115.927. He should also be able to point you in the direction of some good computer tuning sources.

Thanks for the information on the site. I think the new programable ECU will be what I might need to complete my project.

Hey MAPICS Man, the 3800 Gen II motor, is it a regular NA 3800 or was it a SC motor. If it is a NA motor, you may have different pistons in it and may have problems with high boost. The SC motors are set up to handle boost because it has the proper internals (pistons rods, etc.). I realy don't think you will be able to achive 400+ hp with 8lbs of boost.I am not familiar with the 3800 Gen II motor but I am very,very familiar with 3.8 motors in Buick Grandnationals and we run 20+lbs of boost ,other mods and good gas to get 400+hp on an average GN.

Good luck
    Prasad

The 3800 Series II is a normally Aspirated engine with 9.5 to 1 pistons. *The guys at GM told me it breathes a little better than the older 3800 engines and should make 2X the horse power over stock. *What kind of recommendations do you think I need to make with the turbo on this engine? *They tell me the fuel deliver and timing are the critical issues with the Series II. *

I started with an older 3800 with an Inglese six Weber’s package on it the first time I did this. *(I still have the Weber set up if you know some one who would like to have one for their 3800). It stuck up to high for a stock deck lid.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

A SeriesII 3800SC at 10 psi will make about 280hp. The Eaton M90 only takes 15hp to make 10psi at 3500 rpm and 30 hp at 6000 rpm (engine speed). So thats 310hp gross at 10 psi. Intercooling will help, but you're not going to see 425hp with 8 psi.

I've been using the '94-95 Series I ECMs to run Series II SC engines at higher boost. That would be my suggestion for a turbo 3800, and I believe that's what FieroX is using. You will need someone to program the series II SC tables onto the chip, or learn to do it yourself.

Rock:

How hard is it to wire up the ECM from a 95. I have the ECM and wiring harness out of a 1999 Buick. It came out of the same car but has all kinds of theft deterrent stuff on it that I will not need. Who is “Fireo X” and how can I contact him? I guess I will have to figure out how to wire it up and see what this thing will really do on the Dyno to satisfy my mind at this point. If an SC engine makes 280HP, I hope the Normally Aspirated 3800 will do as well with higher compression and a turbo on it.

FieroX is the guy that Randolph was talking about. I've never chatted with him, but there is an email link on his website. He's done some pretty radical stuff with his engine.

Wiring the '95 ECM is no more difficult than the '99. The harnesses are mostly the same except for the ECM connectors. You'd either use a '95 harness or just change the connectors on the '99 harness. I've done them both ways, it's no big deal. The '95 ECM won't work with a 4T65E, you'll need a 4T60E or a manual. What you get from all this is far better tuneability than the series II ECM. It can do anything an aftermarket ECM can do, but better.

Do some reading about editing these things before you decide to use one. Your setup will likely require a lot of tuning. You'll either need to buy the tools and software to do it yourself, or be prepared to pay a lot for someone else to do it. I've never used any of the aftermarket controllers, but I imagine it's about the same to tune one of those, except they come with the stuff needed to do it. You're gonna have to cut the spark advance way back to deal with 8 psi on 9.5:1 CR.

Two of the cars I built will be going on the dyno in May. They're both series II SC, both running 9-10 psi, and water/alcohol injection. Will be interesting to see what they can do. One of them ran a 13.1 1/4 mile without H20 inj.

Rock:

I did a print out of the wiring from your web site. The project starts tonight. Looks like you have done your homework on every aspect of converting more power into the Fiero.

I will keep you posted on the progress.

Duane Cox wired up the engine for me last year. I am going to get the thing fired up this weekend. I am anxious to get it on the street. I still need radiators for the rear 1/4 panels. Hopefully I will get it done soon. Once on the street, I will add the turbo. It is just overwhelming to attempt it at this time.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images