Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Question

Transmission Question

Hi All

Does anyone know what happens if you run a TH125c transaxle without the Torque Converter Clutch connection. I don't have a computer on my set up, and still would like to use the automatic.

Regards
    Paul

Re: Transmission Question

It won't go into overdrive...Might heat up a little more than usual, but I doubt you'll notice a difference or hurt anything. I ran my Firebird without the lock-up for a while because the new computer did not have the provision to control the solenoid directly. Didn't hurt a thing.
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Thanks

When you say it won't go into overdrive, does this mean I have no third gear or that I have to shift through the the gears (1,2,and 3) manually. I was hoping to run this as a permanent set up. I think I could solve the heating problem with a cooler. I'm hooking this up to a 350 V8. It will probably be a little warmer than usual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Paul

In my opinion, that TH125c transaxle will not hold up with a V8 attached to it. You need to look at a TH460 4 speed.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

The TH460 would definately be the better choice and I think eventually that's where I'll end up, however, I will still have the same problem with the TCC switch not being hooked into a computer. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Paul

I know there is an electronic and manual version of the transaxle. The person I would contact regarding electrical stuff would be Duane Cox on this forum. If there is a workaround he will know of it.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Check out a standard mod done to the TH700-R4 which will activate the lock-up without a computer.* Summit Racing has the kit for about $40.00 which changes out the pressure switch and re-wires the valve body to allow the lock-up at low engine power.* But the problem is that if you let off the power, it won't switch off the lock-up and it will remain in lock-up as the transmission downshifts (which is bad), if you don't remember to switch it off.* I'm using this same system on my 325-4L, and will design a circuit that will cut off the lock-up voltage as the car slows down, and can be re-set with the push of a button.* I have done this mod to a TH700, and it is fairly easy.

I have a L88 350 setup in my car. I just have a rocker switch with a led in the rocker that lets me know when It's on. This locks up the converter manualy. When I get in 2nd gear I flip it on. When I come to a stop I flip it off.It's smiple and will do untill the 5 speed slides in.

That sounds like a good solution. Do you mind sharing the details on where to connect the wires? Do you have to switch off the lock up before you stop or after you stop? I would think it would stall if it stays locked up after you stop.

Thanks
    Paul

You have to turn it off before you stop. If you forget to trun it off you'll know it at about 20 miles an hour or slower. It starts to buck a little. When it does I just let off the brake some and switch the switch and get back on the brake. It sounds worse than it is. If you had to stop it still will. I had to do this once. It just stalled the motor, and I had to put it up into nuteral and restart it.It was like a manual car stopping with it in second gear,without pushing in the clutch. I'll have to look and see how it's wired and post how it's done. I think all it does is jumps the converter lock up together.