Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiero Stretch VS. Performance

Fiero Stretch VS. Performance

I have been posting alot of topic regarding Fiero streching. Does any think it is too dangerous to begin racing a fiero that has been stretched. IMO a stock Fiero(GT/V6) is faster than any civic including VTEC but I dont want to get smoked by a supped up civic when I look like a 355 or 360. I would eventually like to put a 3800 supercharge next year. But whats the point if the frame, once modified, is not worthy of adding additional power. What is your opinion on adding performance once the strech has been made.

Basically I want my cake.........and I want to eat it too!! :-\

Re: Fiero Stretch VS. Performance

The stock V6 motor has about 112hp (under rated).The main cause for the under rated hp is the exhaut manifold restrictions.Porting the exhaust manifolds will gain you more hp. KFG aftermarket exhaust manifolds are larger than stock and will gain you even more hp.Plus various other mods you might get 140hp to 150hp.My tranny is slipping in second a little,so rather put more money in the 2.8,I think I'll go for the 3800,thats rated at 250hp.No mater what car you drive,there is always someones car thats faster.

http://www.l67swap.com/forum/index.php
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Anything over 200hp and the back end of a stretched frame will simply rip off the car - unless . . . you use really strong duct tape.

The problem with the stretch has mostly been in certain areas
    1) if the kit is a roadster and so all the roof support is gone and then the middle of the car begins to see flex.
    2) the transmission (and engine) needs to be lined up with the new wheel well - a stretch typically moves the frame and not the cradle so additional attention is also paid to the movement of the cradle.
    3) the stretch is poorly done and concern for replacing metal is disregarded.

So, here is my question, is a 2x4 that gets cut in half and stuck back together again as strong as the original 2x4? No, additional bracing will be needed. Understand that a 8' 2x4 can hold more weight than a 9' 2x4. So, additional bracing will add a lot of strength to a stretched chassis. A stretched chassis can of course be made to be stronger than the original but there is always a price.

In my opinion, unless you install a custom engine cradle don't go racing. A chopped frame is not a worthy option. I did a Cradle stretch for the same reasons Craig mentioned. In addition, keep the roof framework on the car. I got into a year long mess making my frame stronger to use a Spider body. Not worth the effort. If your building a Berlinetta, make it into a 355 Challenge replica. It sounds like great fun.

Another .02 worth.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I have read in a tech story about relocating the engine cradle back 3in instead of streaching the chassis when fitting a 355 kit. Has anyone done this or know the ins and outs of this mod?
    I have copied the section I am talking about for you guys to have a look at. its at www.coolcustomcars.com

" Second choice for wheelbase stretch

Another route is modifying the engine cradle to move back 3 inches. A new mounting point will

be installed for the front of the engine cradle. Place new square tubing inside cradle arms and

weld solid to the new inner plate along side rail. (refer to visual aide) The rear of the cradle,

weld in new mounting area in back of the old mounting area where the long bolts go up into the

frame rail. Drill new hole 3 inches back in new mounting plate that will be welded in place.

Weld in the right size nut to use existing long bolt that was removed. The rear bolt will come up

at the edge of the frame and some modifications will have to be made for clearances. Use the

old mounting point to mount to besides welding in the new mounting plate. Top of shock strut

will have to be moved 3 inches back with new coil-overs and new top mounting bracket for top

of strut tower. (2 inch to 3 inch) The trailing tie-rod on the 84 to 87 Fieros will be as is. The

Held Motor Sports coilovers work well here with the narrow coil. I modifiy the trunk area for

exhaust and engine cradle. "
    Modified cars dont kill,<br />Idiot drivers do.........

I have done both modifications. I am using the chassis with the modified cradle because I feel it is safer than chopping the frame hoping to get it in the proper allignment when it is finished.

The cradle mod in my opinion is the only way to go on a +3 355 Ferrari build. If you are doing something longer, use a HMS cradel to hold your car together. These are the safest and best methods for a typical builder, especially, if you do not have the experience like Don has building suspension.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I definately think this will be the option I will take for the streach...
    I have been researching alot about doing an LS1 conversion. Alan Swansons site has given me alot of helpful tech info on the swap. Has anyone got any pics of the completed installed conversion on a streached cradle ( in the car )

Look at FunnyWheels.

What kind of detail do you need. I can email the photos to you. Here is one of the car being unloaded after paint. The engine is in the car along with the cradle.

A hidden benefit to the cradle stretch is you can have a second chance if you make a mistake rather than replacing an entire chassis. The conversion is solid as a rock!

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images    

That looks absolutely fantastic. Im mainly after detailed photos of the cradle and the mods done to move it back 3" and the engine mounting. Any pics of gearbox adaptions would be great aswell. I do have quite a few photos but the more I look at different ways people have done their mods I can see where things could have been done better. I have yet to start the mod but I figure the more info I can get the better chance I have of getting it right the first time rather than making mistakes people have made in the past and having to redo them. Im glad I found this site. I have found that you guys are by far the best to talk to regarding tech issues as you have been there and done it all before.
    Email me if you can help with pics, I would greatly appreciate it.

Benno1:
    Here is a writeup Dave did about his stretch from the archives: http://www.madmechanics.com/yabbse/i...p?topic=3571.0

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif