Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic to Standard

Automatic to Standard

Has anyone ever turned a automatic into a stander transmission in a fiero. I have found a great price on a fiero with a screwed up automatic transmission. If you have done this before, your posts will be appreciated. If it is possible what kind of transmission (5spd or maybe 6 speed) can be mounted to fiero 2.8 v6 engine?

Thanks guys :P

Re: Automatic to Standard

fieros only came in 4 and 5 speed manuals. you technically could put in anything, but that defies the point of getting the fiero cheap since the tranny will be $150 to $3000 depending one what you get. if the tranny is not compatible, then you would have to get an adapter plate, $500, and possibly re-engineer the output to turn the right way, or end up going up to 90mph backwards ;D
    if you can find a good cheap 4 or 5 speed from a fiero, you would then need to add the clutch pedal and all the cables etc..

could be much more trouble than it's worth, but if you enjoy the work or if you want to make sure the setup is exactly what you want, then go for it.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

I converted my 355 kit from automatic to standard, you need to change the brake pedal and install a clutch pedal. the brackets are allready built in under the dash . you will need to add a clutch master cylinder, the hydraulic clutch line, and that is it other than teh transmission and slave cylinder. find a clutch pedal setup from a junk fieo . that will be the easiest .

Does the 4 cylinder engine transmission bolt directly to the 6 cyliner engine with no mods?

No, the housing is set up defferently. I currently have a 4 cylinder with the transmission and wiring harness for sale. I decided to put a V-6 in my 355 kit so I have the 4 cylinder with everything still intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay355
    Does the 4 cylinder engine transmission bolt directly to the 6 cyliner engine with no mods?
    The 4 cylinder transaxle will bolt to the V6 engine. The bolt pattern is the same called BOP in GM for Buick Olds Pontiac. The 4 banger trans will normally be a 4 speed Muncie version. The typical V6 used Isuzu (the only difference in the transaxle is a lower first gear) and in late 87 and 88 both the 4 and 6 cylinder engines used a Getrag 282. The same clutch and pressure plate will fit both but if it were me I would use the V6 HO (High Output) clutch package from 1988. The difference is the V6 HO clutch will have 6 springs verses 4 springs on the clutch disk. The HO pressure plate has 15 PSI more pressure on the clutch the 4 banger.

I have a 3800 5 speed Getrag in my car that was originally a V6 automatic. I added the clutch pedal and master cylinder plus a Getrag slave cylinder. The Getrag is fatter and shorter than the Isuzu slave. The larger diameter of the Getrag slave uses less pressure to disengage the clutch than the longer and smaller diameter bore of the Isuzu slave. Both will have the same stroke. Better think about a new release bearing while it is apart. They seem to go bad often due to water entering the clutch area from missing dust covers on the various models.

You will need the shifter and cables to fit the transaxle you choose. The 5 speed shifter is slightly different from the 4 speed unit and has a dog leg in the shaft under the handle. The four speed is straight. The Muncie and Isuzu transaxles have different cables than the Getrag. Rodney Dickman sells replacement cables and custom shifter parts for this type of conversion. I used his parts on my conversion to shorten the shifter 2 and the shift throw 1.

I have the HO pressure plate but could not locate the proper clutch so after some resurch I selected LUK as the supplier for the clutch. All seems to be holding well but I do not do autocross with the car. My anticipation is that it will last at least 100K miles before I need a replacement disk.

Best of luck, I hope this information helped you. By the way, Rodney has identifying differences for selecting a transaxle posted on his web site.

Regards,

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I was wondering if the flywheel on the 4 banger will work on a V6?

Nope! Must use the V6 flywheel.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

You will also need the shifter and cable and your looking at $200 plus for those
    I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyWheels
    Nope!* Must use the V6 flywheel.
    I assume they are the same size is it a bolt pattern thing? Just wondering because when I finish painting my car I plan to put the five speed out of my original donor in the new donor to get rid of the Auto but the V6 runs good and sounds good so I want to keep it. all I need is a flywheel if my 4 banger one will not work. I wonder if the one from my V8 kit will work? I wish I could find a part number on it. I know it is a Center force but Archie scratched the part number off.